Friday, August 19, 2016

Review: Fade Away

Title: Fade Away
Author: Harlan Coben
Publishing Date: 1998
Genre: Mystery
Rating: B+
Sensuality: N/A
Book Disclosure: Downloaded an audio book from the library.

Fade Away is the third book in the Myron Bolitar series.  Myron is a sports agent who is of the curious bent and seems to find himself involved in solving crimes.  He has an unusual past.  He was drafted to play in the NBA, but a horrible knee injury in a preseason game crushed that dream.  Instead he went off to Harvard and studies law.  He worked for the FBI before opening his own sports agency.

I have to say that Fade Away is my favorite book so far in the series.  Myron has been asked to look into the disappearance of NBA basketball star Greg Downing.  Downing and Myron had played as competitors in college and high school.  This investigation turns very personal for Myron as many long ago suppressed memories from his basketball days resurface.  The reader finally really gets to understand Myron and his motivations, especially when it comes to his current relationships.  In turn, he comes to some profound realizations with his girlfriend, Jessica Culver.

I'd say about half the book is focused on the mystery plot and the other on Myron's past.  Myron is a very likable character.  He had a strong morals and has a very soft squishy heart.  He also is very sarcastic; a definite smartass!  His partner, Win on the other hand, has no such scruples.  It makes for a good partnership and interesting read.  I listened to this book on audio tape, (actually also the first and second books, as well) and I like hearing them read.  The books are pretty funny. I find myself laughing out loud at times in the car while I am listening to them.  I would recommend this series to readers who enjoyed the Stephanie Plum mysteries.  While, there isn't much focus on romance, the cast of characters are fun and of course there is always a mystery to be solved.

2 comments:

Rowena said...

I'm not normally a mystery reader but this sounds like a good one and really, you had me at NBA basketball star. I'm a basketball junkie, I wish there were more NBA heroes in romance novels cause I'd be all of those. :)

Jill D. said...

Rowena,

I hope you get a chance to check it out. If you do, let me know how you like it.