Sunday, July 25, 2010

Series Sunday - The I-Team Series by Pamela Clare



Every Christmas my husband stuffs my stocking with romance novels. This is how I was first introduced to Pamela Clare and her I-Team books. I found Hard Evidence in my stocking and was so excited after I started reading it to discover I couldn't put it down. This doesn't always happen because sometimes my husband picks out a dud. But I got really lucky that year when he put Hard Evidence into my stocking. It just so happened that the book had a man and a woman showering on the cover. He likes to pick out the books based either on their titles or book covers. The racier the better, LOL!

The I-Team series centers around women who are investigative reporters in Denver, Colorado. Each story is about a different woman who is investigating a story and meets Mr. Right. What is really special about the I-Team series is that the women protagonists are all investigative reporters and Pamela Clare herself was an investigative reporter. She writes what she knows and it shows. The newsroom comes alive under her tutelage.

I do want to mention that the women tend to put themselves in danger in order to get their story. Some readers may feel that the heroines are in the TSTL (too stupid to live) category. I'll admit to nail biting and wanting to scream at the heroine for putting herself in danger. Luckily the hero is always available to rescue his woman. And let’s be honest, the danger just heightens the experience!

These books are well researched and full of action. There is never a dull moment and the chemistry between the characters sizzles off the pages. I don't feel that these books have to be read in order. For the most part each story focuses heavily on just the hero and heroine, with secondary characters staying in the background. Each book is its own contained mystery. But I know what sticklers some of you are for reading order.


Series Reading Order:
1. Extreme Exposure
2. Hard Evidence
3. Unlawful Contact
4. Naked Edge

Pamela Clare has a great website with excerpts and author notes for each of her books. It's worth a look if you are interested in this series.

7 comments:

Kathy said...

I love her books. Her historicals are even better than the great I-Team books. Read them if you get a chance.
I've met her a few times as she's come to a book club I used to belong to. She's a wondeful speaker and such a nice person.

Jill D. said...

Hey Kathy - Thanks for stopping by! I have only read one of Pamela Clare's historicals. I think it was Surrender, but I am not positive that was the title. I did enjoy it and I have been meaning to read more of her books. I had read an interview that she did when Unlawful Contact came out and she spent a night in jail and she talked about her experience. She seems like a really neat lady.

Kristie (J) said...

I adore her books - both her RS and her historicals. When I went to Denver to RomCon, she took a group on a tour of Denver to a lot of places where the books take place - including where a lot of the rockclimbing takes place in the book you are reading now - heh heh heh. She told us all kinds of fascinating stories abut what she had done and things that had happened to her. And the thing is - she's an investigative journalist in RL so she knows whereof she speaks.
I love the cover of Hard Evidence - so it's great that your hubby bought that one based on the cover *g*
And yes, Ive met her a couple of times now and she IS a really neat lady :-)

Mollie said...

Thanks to Kristie Ride the Fire is one of my fav. books. Haven't read any of her contemps but I'll have to give them a try!

Jill D. said...

Kristie - That is so cool that you got to see the actual sites that inspired Pamela Clare. I followed the interviews she did at your site and Sybil's site. I would love to meet her. Maybe she will be at RT one year, or maybe I will make it to RomCom one year.

Mollie - I have Ride the Fire on my wish list. I need to give it a try!

nath said...

What's great about this series is the realistic element, Pamela Clare having been an investigative reporter.

To me though... it's not soo much that the heroines are TSTL because they put themselves in danger for a story... but it's the extent they'll go. I hate the saying: " the public has a right to know." Hate reporters characters in general, ugh.

Jill D. said...

Nath - LOL, yeah if you don't like reporters, than you might have issues with these heroines :)