Thursday, January 31, 2008

2007's Top Three Books for Contemporary Romance


Title: All or Nothing
Author: Claire Cross
Rating: A

All or Nothing is an all around fantastic book. It has everything you could ask for in a romance. It has a very entertaining cast of characters. It makes you laugh. It makes you cry. When you read a romance, you are looking to experience a wide range of emotions and Cross delivers. Jen is a recovering cancer patient and Zack is a trouble-maker and goof-off trying to improve himself. Their journey and growth through the story is a delight to read. Cross excels at intermingling witty and poignant prose. Don’t miss out on this one.



Title: The Winter Lodge
Author: Susan Wiggs
Rating: A

I read The Winter Lodge before reading the prequel, but this did not detract from my enjoyment of the story. If you don’t know, I will fill you in… I absolutely love, love, love childhood love stories. I don’t know what it is about them, but they are my favorite. On top of that, have the kids meet at camp and just forget-about-it. Oh, and if you want a tortured hero, Rourke Mcknight is the man for you. It takes a long time for this couple to finally come together but it is so worth the wait.



Title: Hot Wheels and High Heels
Author: Jane Graves
Rating: B+

I have already reviewed this book which you can read here.



Title: Catch a Mate
Author: Gena Showalter
Rating: B

I would like to include the book Catch a Mate as an honorable mention. This was a really fun book to read. The cast of characters was very fun. Once you get past all the mental lusting in the first part of the book, Showalter's talent really shines through. Marcus is the perfect match for cynical Jillian and I just loved the dynamics between the two. A bonus is the secondary love story that was just so endearing.

3 comments:

nath said...

hey Jill :) did you read the rest of the series for All or Nothing? I only read the second book and I have All or Nothing in my TBR pile. I'm glad that you enjoyed it :P

I loved The Winter Lodge, I thought it was a great book :P Jen and Rourke are just sooo sweet together! Well kind of. But it's nice to see 2 persons that belong together coming together.

Hot Wheels and high Heels was so-so to me. I didn't like the heroine. Catch a Mate, didn't like the heroine again. We're kind of having a discussion about this book/cheating at Chantal's blog, Reading All Night Long.

Jill D. said...

Nath, I didn't know All or Nothing was part of a series. This is the only book by Claire Cross I have read. I will have to look into her backlist.

I am so glad you liked The Winter Lodge. I heard a few people say they thought it was boring. I didn't have that problem. I was engrossed in the story and I even had the tissues out at some parts.

Well, if you don't like the heroine, its pretty darn hard to like the book. I agree, at least in Catch a Mate, the hero was definitely more the star of the book. I liked how he called the heroine on her bullsh*t. I will have to check out Chantal's blog, I don't believe I have been there.

nath said...

Hi there :) Yes, I think that All or Nothing is part of the series. Basically, there's a book for every one of Zach's siblings. So I think 3 before this one...

Yup, I agree on Catch a Mate. and I just love The Winter Lodge, it was a nice, quiet romance. something, you need that :P