Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Review - A Matter of Class



Title: A Matter of Class
Author: Mary Balogh
Publishing Date: January 2010
Genre: Historical
Rating: A
Sensuality: Warm
Book Disclosure: Borrowed from the library

Annabelle Ashton, the daughter of the Earl of Havercroft has recently caused quite a scandal by running away with a servant to elope to Gretna Green. The Earl who was financially suffering after some bad investments needed his daughter to marry into money. Now that she is disgraced after being caught he is forced to settle her to his arch nemesis Bernard Mason's son Reggie. The Earl has always shunned Mason because he earned his money through coal instead of being titled to it. Mason shunned the Earl, since the Earl shunned him. These two have a long history together.

A Matter of Class is another marriage of convenience theme, which is one of my favorites. I was worried about this books since in comes in at just under 200 pages. I shouldn't have worried. Balogh has outdone herself with this little gem. It is a perfect example of the right way to do a short novel.

A Matter of Class is told from two different perspectives, present time and then past time. The two are told in alternating chapters until they converge to present time with a very clever twist to the ending. The characters are fully developed. There is a lot of interaction, not just between Annabelle and Reggie, but also both sets of parents. Some of this leads to comedic relief between the Earl and Bernard Mason. This story has excellent pacing. When you want to squeeze in a good story and can't devote a lot of time, definitely pick this one up. It's a must read!

Here is what others had to say:

Phyl's Quilts & Books
Impressions of a Reader
Reviews by Martha's Bookshelf

This book can be purchased in print or kindle format from Amazon.

6 comments:

Mandi said...

I love Mary Balogh and kind of forgot about this one! Nice review..I think this is the first review I have seen. I will definitely check it out :)

Hilcia said...

Jill, I'm so glad you enjoyed this book! Balogh did a great job with this story and in the end the page count didn't matter.

It is a perfect example of the right way to do a short novel.

Exactly!

Great review!

Marg said...

I was planning on waiting until I finished the last series before reading this book, but now I have read your review, I really want to read it now!

nath said...

I love marriage of convenience plot as well!!

LOL, another book I'll have to look for! Great review, Jill :D

Jill D. said...

Mandi - You should look into this one. It's a quick read and you are sure to enjoy it.

Hilcia - I read it all because of your great review. I am so glad you pointed me in that direction. I would have missed out on a great book!

Marg - It's a quick one, so you should try and squeeze it in any time.

Nath - It really is a little gem. It's hardback so I would recommend getting it from the library, though.

nath said...

My library doesn't have it :( I almost caved during my shopping spree on Saturday, but then, even with 20%, it's still pretty expensive for such a slim book ^_^;