Sunday, December 19, 2010

Review - Warrior


Title: Warrior
Author: Zoe Archer
Publishing Date: September 2010
Genre: Historical Paranormal
Rating: B-
Sensuality: Hot
Book Disclosure: I received a used copy from Paperbackswap.com

Warrior is the first book in Zoe Archer's The Blades of the Rose series. Captain Gabriel Huntley has only known the life of a soldier, but now that he has left the service he has plans to settle down in the English countryside. Not long after leaving the docks he witnesses a group of people attacking a man. Never one to stand an unfair fight, Gabriel comes to the man’s assistance. Unfortunately, the man dies and Gabriel makes a promise to go to Mongolia to deliver a message. When Gabriel gets to Mongolia, he becomes embroiled in a mission upon saving magical artifacts that must not get into the wrong hands. Never one to back away from danger, Gabriel takes it upon himself to protect Thalia Burgess, whose father is a member of The Blades of the Roses and is too sick to go on the mission himself.

For me the strength of this book is the unusual setting of Mongolia and the paranormal plot development. The scenery and customs of the Mongolian people is unique and interesting to read about. The history of the people and how magic is tied to the earth reminded me some of Native American culture. The fact that the story is told through an Englishman and woman makes it all the more different.

While I like both Gabriel and Thalia, I felt that the romance between these two seemed forced. Instead of showing me how the relationship developed, the author told me. At least this is how it was in the beginning of the book. By the time I had read half the book, I felt the writing had gotten better and the relationship felt less forced. For me though, I was more focused on the external conflict between the Blades and Heirs. I definitely see the potential in this series. It is unusual enough that I will be giving the second book Scoundrel a try.

3 comments:

Kris said...

I like this series a lot am on the 4th book now

Hilcia said...

Geez, it's already on the 4th Book! I still have books 1 & 2 in my TBR... I better get cracking. Jill, I see this first book wasn't highly enjoyable for you, but that you're willing to take a chance on that second book. I'm glad to see that since I have BOTH books already. ;P

Jill D. said...

Kris - I am definitely interested in seeing where this series goes!

Hilcia - It was really just that the beginning was a slow start. I definitely see potential in the author and I am looking forward to seeing this author develop her writing style. I also have book two in my TBR.