Thursday, August 20, 2009

Review - Dreamfever




Title: Dreamfever
Author: Karen Marie Moning
Publishing Date: August 2009
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Rating: A
Sensuality: Hot

Dreamfever is the fourth book in Karen Marie Moning's Fever series. This series is one story told over five books. There is one main protagonist MacKayla Lane or Mac as she refers to herself who narrates the story. This series absolutely must be read in order. That is the fun and charm of the series.

I debated over what kind of review to write. Would it be possible for me to review this book without giving away spoilers? Karen Marie Moning has been very diligent in making sure that no spoilers are leaked prior to the release of a book. I happen to HATE spoilers and feel that they take away the fun and enjoyment of reading a book. So with that in mind this review will be SPOILER FREE!

Boy, saying I wouldn't give any spoilers leads me to a real challenge on how to sum up the plot of this book without giving away anything that happened in the previous books. MacKayla Lane is a 22 year old from Southern Georgia. Her life flips upside down when her sister is murdered while at College in Dublin, Ireland. Mac unsatisfied with the way her sister's murder is being investigated flies to Dublin to get some answers. When she gets there she discovers that she is from a special line of women who can see the Fae. While there she meets Jarricho Barrons who is an enigma and Mac is sure not quite human. Barrons needs Mac's help in to locate a very important book. Mac needs Barron's help to stay alive and find out what really happened to her sister.

Dreamfever is the fourth book so we are in the later stages of the story. Mac is finally getting some answers. In the last book she hit rock bottom by getting herself into a very bad situation. She has to recover and pick herself back up and it is not going to be easy. Barrons helps to bring Mac back to herself. He helps her recover. Barrons is still mysterious in this book and Mac still doesn't know exactly what he is. But Mac is persistent and she discovers some new powers and is given small glimpses into who Barrons is. The pull between Barrons and Mac is unwanted by each of them, but they can't seem to help themselves. The tension between the two just leaps off the pages and in certain moments is very bittersweet and poignant.

Mac has had a lot of growing up to do. When she first comes to Dublin she is a naive girl. She has her whole world flipped upside down and just when she thinks things couldn't get any worse, they do. Mac becomes faster, smarter and harder, yet at the core of her is still a woman who maintains a deep hope. This series has been a fabulous ride. Moning had a vision and it shows. Her plot and world building are tight. Dreamfever leaves the reader at a HUGE cliffhanger. Fans will be DYING for the conclusion of Shadowfever. Moning couldn't write it fast enough to suit me. In the meantime, I suppose I will have to satisfy myself with re-reading my favorite passages.

Here is what others had to say:

Jessica's Book Blog and Other Stuff

This book can be purchased in hardcover or kindle format from Amazon.

9 comments:

Mandi said...

Great non-spoiler review!! I am doing a spoiler one..but with lots of warnings:)

Barrons helps her recover - but I wish they would have been on better terms throughout. Otherwise, I loved this book!

Patti (@TheLoveJunkee) said...

This was a great book! It did leave me with more questions than answers, though. Grrr...When does ShadowFever come out? :)

Jill D. said...

Mandi - Yes, you bring up a good point. So many times I could see between Mac and Barrons neither one was willing to give an inch. There needs to be a point when they come together solely because they want to, not because external events force them to. I felt bad for them at certain points because they would be better off if they were just honest with themselves about their feelings for each other. I can't wait to see how Moning resolves everything.

Patti - For the life of me I can not figure out what the heck Barrons is. I also was baffled by the mysterious 4th prince. My take is that he is the Unseelie king himself. It couldn't be Barrons even though one clue was that he was tattooed. Could it?

Stacy~ said...

All the talk between Mandi and several Twitter friends convinced me to get the first 3 books in the series, so hopefully I'll have them soon. Your review only whets my appetite to know more. Thanx for not spoiling it for me *g*

Marissa said...

So great to read a spoiler-free review! Like you I hate spoilers but sometimes it is impossible to write a spoiler-free review. I have all her books so far, but have not started in this series because I do not have the patience to wait a whole year for the next part, but now with only one part to be released, all the raving and ranting about it and the great reviews I will start soon. Great review!

Mollie said...

I started this last night but I'm kind of struggling b/c I can't really remember ANYTHING from the previous book. It's been so long since I've read it...and I have a bad memory to boot! :( Think I'm going to have to find a summary/overview of the last book before I continue reading today!

Maija said...

I finished the book just a few minutes ago. I dared to read your review only after I'd done reading the book myself ;)

This was an amazing book, just like the previous ones. Probably even the best one (although I think they all are 5 star reads)!

It was such a great decision that I decided to reread previous parts before starting this one. All events were clear in my head, I remembered forgotten things and discovered new ones.

I don't know how I can manage to wait for the last part of the series. Like you, I'll just have to find my favorite parts and reread them again. I even managed to cry three times and I think I'll find those parts first... :)

Lisa M. Garver said...

I have enjoyed the Fever Series. It is by far my top read now! I just bought DreamFever today and the cashier said, "Man this must be a great series. We have sold like 7 of these so far today." I told him it was a really good series. The lady in front of me was buying the book too and we both were excited to find out what will happen to Mac and how she will get out of the mess she is in now.

Leontine said...

Hi Jill,
What a ride Dreamfever turned out to be! And at the end, what is implied, my heart went on instant denial. I so don't want to believe it! Thanks for a non-spoiler review, I don't think I completey achieved that goal *eek*