Saturday, October 9, 2010

Review - Red Leopard



Title: Red Leopard
Author: Tracy Cooper-Posey
Publishing Date: 2003
Genre: Contemporary
Rating: C+
Sensuality: Hot
Book Disclosure: I recieved a free ebook from the author requesting a review.

Red Leopard is the first in Tracy Cooper-Posey's series Guns n Lovers. Calli Munro, an American has traveled to South America where her Uncle has asked for her help. She immediately books a flight to Valeria, even though the country is in the midst of a possible civil war. Rebel troops have been building in the mountains and the political upheaval is at dangerous levels. When Callie departs the plane her Uncle is supposed to be waiting for her at the airport, but he is not there. Callie is arrested after a few minutes and is at the mercy of the police who do not even speak English. After a while a well spoken man with political influence and a very forceful presence releases her from jail. Callie later learns that her savior was none other than the Red Leopard.

Red Leopard starts out strong with an intriguing beginning when Callie ends up in prison and Nicolas (Red Leopard) helps to gain her release. Ms. Cooper-Posey paints a very beautiful picture of the South American countryside. The descriptions of the lands and the Valerian culture are some of the highlights in the book for me. Callie is a wonderful heroine. She is strong, but she under values her strength. She doesn't realize how courageous she truly is until she is faced with the Valerian rebellion and the dangerous times they represent.

Nicolas Escobado is a very regal man with many responsibilities to his country and his people. Unfortunately, he was a little lackluster for my tastes because his duties came before his feelings for Callie. Because Callie is such a strong heroine, I felt like Callie deserved better. Nick should have been falling over himself to snag the likes of Callie. I also felt that the ending to the story was a little too neatly wrapped up in light of the heavy impending civil war. However, there are more books to the series and these issues might be address in the future. In summary, I found Ms. Cooper-Posey to have very fine writing yet the hero was just not to my taste. I have plans to read the next book in the series.

3 comments:

Leslie said...

I just read the third book in this series. Really liked it and plan to go back & read the first two.

Too bad about Nick not working for you. Hopefully the heroes in the next books will. :)

Tracy said...

Jill I have to agree with you. I liked the book but felt about the same as you. Having said that I really liked books 2 & 3. The overall story arc is great.

Jill D. said...

Leslie and Tracy - I have the other two books on my Nook. I have plans to read those as well. I am glad to hear books 2 and 3 are good. I am looking forward to reading them.