Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Review - Faefever (Actually, it's more of a Tribute)



*Note* I want to state up front that there are absolutely NO spoilers in this review.

Title: Faefever
Author: Karen Marie Moning
Publishing Date: September 2008
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Sensuality: Warm
Rating: A

Can I just say, wow? Wow! This book is amazing! I have been anxiously counting down the days ever since last fall when I read Bloodfever, the second book in the Fever series, and I am so happy to say that it did not disappoint! It was freaking fabulous!!!!

Let me start at the beginning for those of you who are not familiar with the series. The fever books are narrated by Ms. MacKayla Lane, aka Mac. She is a young, 22 year old southern girl who worships the sun, lives with her parents, takes classes at the local college and bartends at night. She loves her life. It’s simple and fun and that is just how she wants it. Then one day her world came crashing down around her when she learns that her sister Alina was brutally murdered in Dublin Ireland, where her sister was attending college. The police said that Alina was hanging around a bad crowd and that she had stopped going to classes. Mac can’t believe that. It doesn’t sound anything like how Alina would behave.

Overwhelmed by her grief, and against her parent’s wishes, Mac flies to Ireland to do her own investigating into Alina’s death. What she finds when she arrives in Dublin changes everything she ever knew about her world and her life. Mac realizes that there are things that go bump in the night; things that can’t be explained by any reasonable explanation. She also learns that she has a special power. One that allows her to see those unexplainable things that go bump in the night. This fever series is about Mac’s journey in discovering what really happened to Alina. This is a finite series constructed of five books. Faefever is the third book. The first two are Darkfever and Bloodfever.

Moning has out done herself with crafting this world. She slowly over the course of the series reveals the world to Mac and the readers making it a puzzle that we have to fit the pieces together. Moning has done a wonderful job of keeping the reader on edge with giving us answers to some questions and yet somehow still creating the need for more answers to new questions. Moning is able to keep the story feeling believable even though what is happening in the story is truly unbelievable.

Mac herself is the best of heroines. She is completely out of her element. She is a normal girl and one that didn’t have any aspirations other than finding a nice southern gentleman and providing her parents with grandbabies and accessorizing her sunny outfits. But when it comes to finding her in impossible situations, she sucks it up and toughs it out. The reader can’t help but like her and feel compassion for her. The reader is right there with her through her journey and it’s a tough road she has to travel. Her growth and transformation over the story is amazing and one of the best aspects of the series.

This series is fantastic. If you like urban fantasy or even paranormal romance, I highly recommend it. If you don't like the first person point of view, but are intrigued by my review, I welcome you to just jump in and read this book. You will not be lost not having read the first two books. Everything is briefly explained in the prologue. It’s a quick read and highly addicting. Mac’s voice will suck you in and not let go and after reading this book I vow you will want to go back read the others. Ms. Moning, congratulations on a job well done. This book is everything I could ask for in a great read.

10 comments:

Jace said...

Thanks for the great overview of this series, Jill. I have the 1st book in the TBR for so many months now *sigh* but you've piqued my interest. :-D I'll see if I can rope in Kat and Mel to read with me soon. ;-)

Mollie said...

Can't wait to read this one! I liked the second better than the first and it sounds like the third is even better than the second! This series seems to get better and better!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great review. I'm requesting the first one from the library.

Christine said...

I'm so happy that Faefever lived up to your expectations! I LOVE when that happens! I recently bought Bloodfever in paperback, so hope to read it, then Faefever soon. :)

Jill D. said...

Oh ladies, I hope you like it. I don't know what it is about this series, but it just speaks to me!

Anonymous said...

Faefever was fantastic! The whole series is fantastic! I can´t wait for the next part...

Bev(QB) said...

Could not agree more! I consider this series to be a master's class in the use of first person POV.

I just finished listening to all of KMM's Highlander audio books. It had been quite awhile since I read them, so I was so excited to realize just how much the HIghlanders serve as a prequel to the Fever series, and how many "hints" there are for events and identities in the latter series.

Jill D. said...

Maija, Hi and welcome to my blog! Aren't you just on pins and needles waiting for the next book! I can't believe I have to wait so long. I am going to go crazy!

Bev, I did the same thing last year after I read Bloodfever. I then went and checked the Highlander books out from the library and reread them all. The last book Spell of a Highlander really does elude to quite a few things in the Fever series.

Have you gone to her message board?

I haven't quite made it over there myself, but I probably will soon. I need some kind of fix :)

Bev(QB) said...

Jill, I've been a member over at the KMM board since the new one started, but honestly I'm almost never there. One is just a time factor-- I have none. But also, I couldn't remember most of the minute facts that many members remember when discussing both the Highlander and Fever series. I mean, having just finished the Highlanders again, I had all kinds of "lightbulb" AHA! moments that were confirmed in Faefever, but I have no doubt that many ladies on the board had it all figured out before even DARKfever was released!

Jill D. said...

Bev, It can be a little scary and intimidating with all the rabid fan girls over at the message boards. I need some kind of fix though between books. When writing my review I was really hoping that I didn't come across as one of those "fan girls".