Monday, October 13, 2008

Review - Cry Wolf



Title: Cry Wolf
Author: Patricia Briggs
Publication Date: 2008
Genre: Paranormal
Rating: B
Sensuality: Warm

Cry Wolf is the first novel in Patrica Briggs new werewolf series. She released the short story Alpha and the Omega in the anthology On the Prowl earlier this year, which first introduces readers to Anna. Charles however first appeared on the paper in Brigg’s well known Mercy Thompson series. Charles is the son of Bran who is the North American merek. This means that Bran is in charge of all the wolves in North America. Charles is his hitman. He was sent to Chicago to deal with some problems that arose in that pack. On his assignment he meets Anna. Right away his brother wolf accepts Anna for his mate. Anna, however, is less trusting of Charles because she was turned against her will and has been abused by her former packmates. To say she has trust issues is an understatement. Charles convinces Anna to return with him to his home in the mountains in Montana.

I think it is essential for readers to read the short story before reading Cry Wolf. I felt that Alpha and Omega was nothing more than the first couple of chapters from Cry Wolf. Fortunately for readers who do not want to buy the anthology, Patricia Briggs is selling her short story online in electronic format. You can visit her website for more information.

The major strength of Cry Wolf is in the characters. All of them were well developed and had likable personalities. I think the reader will gravitate toward Anna who is struggling with coming into her own again after suffering for so long. She has to learn a whole new way of life and learn what being an Omega means. She has to learn that her new pack has completely different expectations from her than her former one did. Charles was true hero material. He was patient and protective and just completely cherished Anna. Who wouldn’t want this type of man to call their own?

I just found the pack dynamics fascinating. I loved how all the wolves interacted with one another and seeing how they all fit together. Briggs does a nice job of introducing new members of the pack without overloading the reader. All of them were distinct and interesting to read about.

The main issue I had with the book was I wanted more romance between Charles and Anna and less of the mystery portion of the book. I didn’t feel like Charles and Anna had fully worked out all the problems they were facing with their relationship. Those problems were mainly Anna’s past abuse at the hands of her former pack and her coming to trust Charles. It makes me wonder if later books in the series will still be dealing with Charles and Anna or if they will be about other pack members. Either way, I will be anxious to read more.

Here is what others had to say:

The Good, The Bad, The Unread
Books and Other Thoughts
LesleyW's Book Nook
Romance Novel TV
Scooper Speaks

10 comments:

Bev(QB) said...

YOO-HOO... JILL...

http://cubiesconfections.blogspot.com/2008/10/lurve-is-in-air.html

KT Grant said...

I would have liked a bit more loving between Charles and Anna but isn't Briggs' writing more for the paranormal aspect rather than the romance?

Jill D. said...

Thats a good question Katie. I was under the assumption that this was actually a paranormal romance - not urban fantasy. I am thinking that I might be wrong in that assumption. I won this book in a contest and did not purchase it, so I am not sure what section they would place this book in: romance or sci-fi. Do you know?

Now that I think on it the On the Prowl anthology is shelved in the sci-fi section.

Bev(QB) said...

It's my understanding (although I don't remember the exact wording that Briggs' husband used) that Briggs' deal with her publisher requires her to include some complex romantic elements in her urban fantasies set in Mercy's world (which of course includes this new series). I don't think either of these series were ever described anywhere as Romances though.

Brie said...

Cry Wolf is shelved in the SF/Fantasy section of my local Borders. It seems to fall into UF with romantic elements, just like the Mercy Thompson series. Thanks for the review, Jill!

Jessica said...

Thanks for the review! I love being reminded of books that I enjoyed. I think (hope) that we'll see more of a romance brew between Anna and Charles as the series moves forward.

Anonymous said...

Nice review. I love Charles and Anna. I couldn't agree with you more about the importance of reading Alpha & Omega before Cry Wolf.

Christine said...

Fantastic review, Jill. I agree with you that Cry Wolf would have been a bit better if Anna and Charles' relationship was addressed a bit more, especially after "Alpha and Omega." And I'm not even talking about the romance, although that would have been nice. I'm sure there will be more in their next book, though.

Jill D. said...

Christine, It seemed to me that Charles and Anna still have a lot to work through with their relationship. Anna has to relearn everything she knows about her existance as a wolf and that is going to take time. I can't wait to see what Briggs has in store for us!

LesleyW said...

Hi Jill,

Glad you enjoyed the book. I know what you mean about wanting more about the relationships between the werewolves - that was also my favourite part of the story.

But hopefully that will play a major role in the series as Anna finds her place in the pack.