Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Review - No Humans Involved



Title: No Humans Involved
Author: Kelley Armstrong
Publishing Date: 2007
Genre: Paranormal
Rating: B+
Sensuality: Hot

No Humans Involved is book seven in Kelley Armstrong’s Women of the Underworld series. The book is narrated by Jamie Vegas, whom readers have met in previous books. She is starring in a new reality TV series that will be attempting to raise the spirit of Marilyn Monroe. While most people might believe Jamie to be a fraud, she is in truth a necromancer. This means that she can see and hear the dead. But something strange is occurring in the garden on the set of the new TV show. She can feel hands touching her and hear whispers of sound, but can’t seem to make out any actual ghosts. It seems this entity wants something from her. She just isn’t sure what it is. Jeremy an Alpha werewolf whom Jamie has had a mad crush on for several years now is visiting her while she is filming the show.

It’s nice to see Jamie finally get to play a major role a mystery of her own. She has always felt like a burden to others when helping them with their cases. She half jokes about how she always ends up being kidnapped, or knocked unconscious. She doesn’t have super human strength or is capable of spell casting. Her special power is being able to see and hear ghosts. As the story progresses and the plot thicken, Jamie comes to understand that there are more to her powers than she originally thought.

Jamie is very easy for the reader to like. She comes across as being isolated from others. We see glimpses into her background as to the reason for this and it makes the reader easily sympathize with her. With Jamie’s sense of humor, it never comes across as whiney either.

The relationship between Jamie and Jeremy was very sweet too. I loved getting glimpses into who Jeremy is and what makes him tick. Jamie was quite adept at knowing how to get under Jeremy’s skin. It was quite enjoyable to read Jamie’s attempts to get Jeremy to lose that iron control of his.

The mystery part of the plot was tightly written. Hope and Karl were part of the team, although Karl, not so much until up at the end. All the characters were well fleshed out. Even the villain managed to stay far away from being cartoonish. I must say I loved how Jamie dished out just desserts at the end. It couldn’t have been more appropriate. I hope Jamie and Jeremy will be appearing in later books in the series. Their relationship seemed to end more on a happy for now, than a happily ever after, although, this might be up for interpretation. No Humans Involved is a great addition to this wonderful series.

Here is what others had to say:

A Bookaholic's Review
Reading Adventures
Rhinoa's Ramblings
Riley's Reviews
Books, Books and More Books
Jennie's B(ook)log
LesleyW's Book Nook

4 comments:

nath said...

Yay!!! Finally!! I am so glad you enjoyed this one :) Finally, Jaime and Jeremy got together :)

What I like about this series is that Ms Armstrong really exploits the fact that this is a series... She doesn't tie it up neatly at the end of the book... instead, the relationships always span a couple of books and we see how they grow and change. There's more of Karl and Hope in Living with the Dead and so far, it's all very sweet :P

Carolyn Crane said...

Oooh, I have seen this one in my ubs and wasn't sure about getting it. But I think I will! I thought this was the book with the annoying woman in it.

Bev(QB) said...

You know, Jill, I was never too crazy about Jamie, and still can't say she's one of my favorite characters, but the fact that she can make our mysterious, stoic, uber-alpha Jeremy, seem more... HUMAN... means that her likability factor rose exponentially for me in this book.

Other than the Clay and Elena stories, this is one of my favorite books of the series.

Jill D. said...

Nath, I can't wait for more of Hope and Karl.

Carolyn Jean, I didn't find Jamie annoying, but I am not sure if she is the annoying lady you are talking about. Maybe you mean Cassandra? Cassandra is my least favorite character.

Bev, I really liked Jamie in this one. We get to know her better and see why she acts the way she does. I felt like this book was a really strong addition to the series. I am a sucker for wolves though :) So of course I was bound and determined to like Jeremy's story.