Monday, October 20, 2008

Review - Smart and Sexy



Title: Smart and Sexy
Author: Jill Shalvis
Publishing Date: 2007
Genre: Contemporary
Rating: D
Sensuality: Hot

Noah Fisher is one of the co-owners of a private airline that caters to the filthy rich. After six months of taking a hiatus from flying, he has decided to get behind the wheel again. Only unfortunately for him, this day wasn’t the best day to pick. Bailey Sinclair’s husband died in a ski accident six months ago. After his death, it comes to light that some of his investments went bad and that he was in fact broke, not rich. To make matters worse the investors want their money back and swear that Bailey knows where it is hidden. So Bailey hijacks Noah Fisher to have him fly her to one of her husband’s resorts where she hopes the money is hidden.

Oh dear. I wanted to like this one. I really did. But alas, I just can’t, in all honesty, give it a higher grade. Bailey and Noah were nice enough, but they were completely superficial. If I had to read one more time about how broad his shoulders were, or how nice of an ass she had, I’d scream. On top of that, the whole book takes place over two days (possibly three) and they are on the run from these goons the whole time. But somehow in the middle of running for their lives, they have plenty of time to stop and do the horizontal mambo. I mean priorities people! Then to make matters worse, at the end of it they are completely in luuvvvvve. Only it is just not believable because it was lust, not love that brought these two together. Actually, the whole book takes an inordinate amount of suspension of disbelief, from their headlong fast fall into love, to the silly decisions that the characters kept making.

I will admit to enjoying Brody and Maddie. Brody is one of Noah’s partners and Maddie is their secretary. Maddie stole the show with her candor in telling the boys like it is. She has a secret though and it’s that she has feelings for Brody. I think Brody does too, but it will take a lot of pushing to make him admit it. I have a feeling that they have a book with their name on it. I am such a sucker that I will probably even read it.

Here is what others had to say:

The Good, The Bad, The Unread
Laurie's Laudanum
Stacy's Place on Earth

7 comments:

nath said...

Oh, sucks that you didn't like this book better... I still haven't read this series. I tried Get a Clue, but never got into it really :(

Christine said...

Oh no! I hate when that happens. Maybe Brody and Maddie's story will be better. I'd be a sucker and read it, too. Better luck next time.

Kris said...

Brody and Maddie's story is the third in the trilogy. And it is very good. I enjoyed this one, but I love all her books. Sorry you did not like it more :(

Jill D. said...

Nath, If you didn't like Get a Clue then I doubt you will like this series.

Christine, Yeah, but it will probably be a while until I get to it :)

Kris, I know. I am totally suprised that I didn't like it more. Maybe my tolerance is low right now. Sometimes you just have to be in the right mood.

Sayuri said...

Actually this was my fav of the series , I thought they got progressively worse to the point where the third book was practically unreadable for me.

It's unusaul because normally I love Jill Shalvis. the two firefighters books she did for Blaze were great.

Jill D. said...

Hi Sayuri!! Welcome to blog land. I see you just started your blog this month. It's very nice!

Actually this was my fav of the series , I thought they got progressively worse to the point where the third book was practically unreadable for me.

Oh noooooo!! Tell me it isn't so! I was hoping it went from worst to better. Darn it!

I haven't read her firefighter books, but I did read Get a Clue and I really liked that one. That's why I wanted to read more of her books. Oh well.

Sayuri said...

Hey Jill,

These books are the only books I didn't enjoy of Jill Shalvis and it wasn't that I didn't enjoy them, they were just lacking the nrmal Shalvis magic.

I think the reason I didn't enjoy the third book was because I also thought Maddie and Brodie's story was going to be awesome hot and it wasn't. Damp squib for me. Plus Maddie went from being spunky to being a total bitch. She was just sooo freakin nasty to Brodie a lot of the time.