Thursday, November 6, 2008

November Classic Challenge - As You Desire



As You Desire by Connie Brockway has made AAR's reader choice Top 100 Romance Poll in 2000, 2004 and 2007. In 2004, it was ranked among the top 10. So knowing me, I have to see for myself what all the fuss is about. Here is the blurb from the back of the book:

HE WAS HER KNIGHT IN TARNISHED ARMOR…

He galloped across the midnight-shrouded landscape, racing toward her on his steed of pure white. Her destiny... In her wildest fantasies Desdemona Carlisle could not have conjured a more dashing savior, and this was real! But an unlikelier hero was hard to find. Harry Braxton was a born opportunist who had already broken her heart once, years before. How could she ever trust him again? Harry was a notorious rake who came with a warning: lover, beware...

AN IRRESISTIBLE SCOUNDREL WHO PLAYED HAVOC WITH HER HEART

With her bronze-gold hair and quicksilver grace, the sloe-eyed beauty was everyman's desire, totally oblivious of her devastating effect on men. It was all Harry could do to be Desdemona's friend -- and bury the corrosive secret that kept him from claiming the woman he loved. But when his aristocratic English cousin laid siege to Desdemona's heart, it was the ultimate challenge in a most dangerous game that Harry intended to win...


This summary sounds pretty cheesy. This book was published in 1997, way past the day of bodice rippers. What's with these names, Harry and Desdemonda? Seriously? Also, the summary doesn't really tell the reader anything. Not off to a good start, in my humble opinion. We'll just have to see. Hmmm...

9 comments:

KT Grant said...

This is one of my favorite romances of all time!! Don't let their names discourage you. Harry is so wonderful! His love and devotion for Dizzy is for great reading.
I heart Harry.

Kati said...

LOL! I'm with you Jill. I've read As You Desire, and it didn't work for me, but that was mostly the setting, I think. For whatever reason, I'm not a fan of books set in Egypt.

That being said, All Through The Night and My Dearest Enemy by Brockway are both on my keeper shelves.

Good luck! I'm interested to hear your thoughts when you're done!

Carolyn Crane said...

Oh, funny! KB and Kati have read this one. I like the white steed. A steed is always good. Well, we'll have to hear what you say!!

Samantha said...

I love Connie Brockway! But yeah, that back blurg is horrible. I don't think I've read this one of hers yet though. Hope you like it!

Jill D. said...

Okay Katie, I will keep an open mind :)

Kati, Uh Oh! The only Egypt setting books I have read have been by Elizabeth Peters. I liked them so I don't think the setting will bother me. We shall see!

Carolyn Jean and Samantha, Want to read it with me!?

Kristie (J) said...

I'm with Katie - see we may disagree on the length of hair on guys, but we do agree on a lot of books. This was a real good one for me and I'll be looking to see what you think of it.

KT Grant said...

Harry makes this book so special.
((HARRY)

Jill D. said...

Katie, LOL, how am I supposed to get past the name Harry? I will try to keep an open mind!

Seriously, it sounds good. Don't worry, I will probably love it.

KT Grant said...

Harry is a good strong name. This Harry will make you smile.