Monday, November 10, 2008

Review - Pleasure Unbound



Title: Pleasure Unbound
Author: Larissa Ione
Publishing Date: July 2008
Genre: Paranormal
Rating: B-
Sensuality: Burning

Pleasure Unbound is sort of like “ER” meets “Buffy the Demon Slayer”. In this book there is a whole different dimension that most humans are unaware of, that houses a wide range of demons and other mythical creatures. Some of these demons are able to leave this dimension and live among humans. Only The Aegis, a group of human warriors trained to kill demons, are aware of their existence. Tayla Mancuso is one such guardian. She is out fighting demons with her partner Janet and is severely injured in a fight with a demon. She is found and taken to a demon hospital where she meets Eidolon, the doctor and founder of the hospital.

Eidolon and Tayla are the most unlikely couple imaginable. Tayla has been taught that all demons are evil and it is her duty to wipe out as many as she possibly can, to ensure the safety of the rest of the world. Eidolon’s brother was killed by The Aegis and has nursed his hatred of them over time. To say that these two have major obstacles to overcome is quite an understatement.

This book’s strength lies in the intricate and original world building. I personally haven’t ever come across a paranormal that deals with demons and the medical field. It is an interesting combination. There is a lot going on plot wise besides just the romance between Tayla and Eidolon. Someone is torturing demons and harvesting body parts from them to sell on the black market. Eidolon thinks the Aegis is involved and Tayla is determined to prove him wrong. Tayla herself has been ill and uncovering her mysterious illness adds tension to the story. Eidolon has two brothers Wraith and Shade that have issues as well. Plus, there are a few others that you will just have to read the book to find out about!

As far as the romance goes it was just okay for me. Eidolon was good. I liked him, but Tayla’s personality was a bit too prickly for my taste. Of course, she had good reason, so I could let a lot of it slide. These two had so much to overcome it wasn’t until the last 100 or so pages that they finally got past their differences and started working together. Once they did, I enjoyed them a lot more.

One thing that I found slightly disturbing and a little jarring is the fact that these creatures are demons. They are not human and therefore do not always act human, nor are they expected too. Some species of demons have more humanistic tendencies than others. A few of the creatures are down right horrifying. The book is quite graphic and that may put a few readers off.

The main plot isn’t completely solved at the end of this book and it is obvious that this is the start of a series. It didn’t feel contrived though. It felt natural to have it end where it did. I am sure Eidolon’s brothers with eventually be getting their own stories. I will be one of many to check out the next installment.

Here is what others had to say:

LesleyW's Book Nook
SciFiGuy.ca
Dear Author
Darque Reviews
Book Binge
The Book Smugglers
What Women Read

8 comments:

Kris said...

I enjoyed this book as well. The world building was great, and unique. I can't wait for the next one.

Carolyn Crane said...

I've been tempted by this book though I do get sort of freaked by medical things. But I've heard such good things!

Kati said...

I love this book. Although, I have to say that I'm someone who enjoys the hero and heroine working at cross purposes up to a point, so that didn't bother me much.

I think the world building it spectacular and I really liked the chemistry between the leads.

nath said...

Okay, I've seen reviews of this book and thought "meh"... but now, you make me want to read it :) Luckily, it's in my TBR pile :) Sometimes, it's cool to have a TBR pile :D

Shannon said...

I loved this book. It was the book that got me going on my Halloween para rom theme last month http://whatwomenread.blogspot.com/2008/10/paranormal-influx-good-or-bad.html

I really enjoyed her world building and the ambiguity of who was right/wrong. I'm like Kati, love when the H/h are at cross purposes. It amps up the conflict for me.

Larissa is releasing her compendium in January and then has back to back releases in March and April. CAN'T WAIT!

Jill D. said...

Hi Kris! How are you doing? I heard a lot of positives about this book and that is why I chose to read it. I am definitely looking forward to more.

Jill D. said...

Carolyn Jean, What kinds of medical things freak you out? Maybe I could give you a heads up. Although, I will say I found the book rather graphic. I don't necessarily think it was tied to the medical aspect. I think it was more tied to the demons themselves. They are a gruesome lot.

Jill D. said...

Nath, I am not sure you will like this book. But it is unique and definitely worth a try.

Kati and Shannon, I like opposites attract, but to me this book pushed those boundaries too much. I don't like it when it seems almost impossible and beyond the rhelm of believabilty for these two characters to come together. I guess it seemed overwhelmingly difficult to me.

Oh yes Shannon, I loved all the shades of grey (ambiguity of right vs wrong). It was one of the books defining factors.

PS. I will add your link :)