Saturday, December 6, 2008

Review - Twilight and Stalked



Title: Twilight (A story in the anthology Many Bloody Returns)
Author: Kelley Armstrong
Publishing Date: 2007
Genre: Paranormal
Rating: B+
Sensuality: Kisses

Twilight is narrated by the vampire Cassandra. Even though, as a vampire Cassandra is considered immortal, she does have an expiration date. She has sensed for a while now that her time is coming to an end. She has little desire to continue as she has been. Once a year vampires are required to make a kill. She has come upon the anniversary of her kill and needs to make it if she is to continue living.

Twilight addresses Cassandra’s struggle and reluctance to take her annual kill. Her good friend Aaron senses Cassandra’s stress and is concerned. I loved getting a glimpse into Cassandra in this short story. In the past books Cassandra has come across as very cold and uncaring. That is not the case in this story. I loved getting to see her interact with Aaron as he is very much so her opposite in personality. Where Cassandra is serious Aaron is playful.


Title: Stalked (A story in the anthology My Big Fat Supernatural Honeymoon)
Author: Kelley Armstrong
Publishing Date: 2007
Genre: Paranormal
Rating: B
Sensuality: Kisses

The short story Stalked takes place two years after Elena gave birth to the twins. It is told in the first person point of view by Clay. They are on their honeymoon and I am not sure what city they are in. As they are honeymooning Clay smells that a mutt has been following them. Clay is the muscle in the pack, but ever since he damaged his right arm, his dominant arm, he has been worried about other mutts coming to challenge him. That is exactly what happens in Stalked. Some mutt has decided he wants to see if the rumors are true and Clay has to prove that he is still a wolf not to be taken lightly.

This story is only 30 pages long. It just amazes me how Kelley Armstrong can write such a short story and it be a quick enjoyable read. There wasn’t really anything ground breaking as far as originality with this story but it was nice to have more insight into Clay. This was the first story in this series narrated by him.

5 comments:

Kate Diamond said...

Okay, I know this is off-topic but it's good info for readers (and time is a factor). So...

I'm blogging about some free e-book downloads from Samhain! Check it out:

http://dscribwomen.blogspot.com/2008/12/spice-up-your-holidays.html

Jill D. said...

Thanks Kate for the link :)

nath said...

I skimmed through Twilight one day I was at the bookstore :) I'm going to buy the anthology once it comes out in trade-size...

I'm really interested in Cassandra and I know lots of fans want her to have her own book... but then, when you think about the fact that she's going to die soon... I'm not sure I want her to have her own book. Get what I mean? I'm definitively not looking forward to when she... well, expires :(

I thought Stalked was cute. It gave us some insight of what's been happening in Elena and Clay's life... and I'm glad that Clay is okay. Might not be as strong as before, but he can still take care of thing. It'll definitively be interesting to read the next book, Frostbitten.

Jill D. said...

Nath, If you like Cassandra then you must read Twilight. It gives great insight into her character.

I think it would be hard to have Cassandra narrate a book because of where she is in her life, you know, at the end of it.

nath said...

That's what I think too....although, have to say, it doesn't seem like she'll get her book anytime soon.