Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Review - Demon From the Dark



Title: Demon From the Dark
Author: Kresley Cole
Publishing Date: September 2010
Genre: Paranormal
Rating: B+
Sensuality: Hot
Book Disclosure: I received a used copy from Paperbackswap.com.

Demon from the Dark is the 8th full length novel in Kresley Cole's Imortals after Dark series. Carrow Graie is a witch who has been captured by a group seeking to add to their paranormal menagerie. They have tasked Carrow with locating Malkom Slaine, a Vemon (vampire/demon). They have her sweet niece Ruby as collateral to make her comply. Things get tricky when Carrow starts to fall in love with the beast. How can she possibly choose between Ruby or Malkom?

I love this series, but the last couple of books have left me with a bad taste in my mouth, worried that the series isn't going anywhere. Things seemed a little stagnant in terms of the big war amongst the immortals. Well, I am happy to say this book pushed all those worries to the back of my mind. It was an incredible journey and things are finally starting to pick up in terms of the overall story arc. Yay!!!!

I had a little bit of trouble getting into the story. It started out slow giving us Malkom's back story, plus coupled with my own preconceived notions, made me put it down and pick it back up repeatedly. Once I got past the first chapter (I know, short attention span) things really picked up. Malkom is a crazy beast of a man. Well, not exactly a man, a demon really. But he is completely Alpha with a soft, sensitive inner core. Carrow can't help but be drawn to him. He is fiercely protective, yet extremely inexperienced when it comes to women. He is a very unique hero and a lot of romance fans are going to adore him. I know I did.

I really enjoyed Demon from the Dark. I have not been as enthusiastic about paranormal romance compared with urban fantasy, but I thought Demon from the Dark was up there with urban fantasy this time. I highly recommend this series and this book if you like paranormal romance. I recently posted an excerpt, which you can find here. Enjoy!

3 comments:

Kris said...

Thanks for hte review, i have been putting off reading this one because I too was unimpressed with the last couple books. I will have to give in and grab it (even if it is from the library). thanks :)

Happy THanksgiving!

JennyAnn said...

Thanks for the great review. I have never read any of Krelsey Cole's books. Do I need to go back to book one to understand everything that is going on?

Jill D. said...

Kris - Oh good. I am glad I was able to help with your reading choices. I followed the exact same pattern you did, which was why I had such a hard time picking this up out the TBR pile.

JennyAnn - Hey, thanks for coming out of lurking :) I definitely think you should start this series from the beginning. You really could read this book and enjoy it just fine without having read the other books, but it is a great series and you will enjoy reading the other books.

Here is a link to a post I did on the series and it lists the reading order of the books. Enjoy!

http://romancerookie.blogspot.com/2008/12/series-sunday-immortals-after-dark.html