Thursday, March 10, 2011

Review - Dreams of a Dark Warrior



Title: Dreams of a Dark Warrior
Author: Kresley Cole
Publishing Date: February 2011
Genre: Paranormal
Rating: B-
Sensuality: Hot
Book Disclosure: I purchased a new ebook for my Nook from B & N.

Dreams of a Dark Warrior is the ninth book in Kresley Cole's Immortals After Dark series. Regin the Radiant and Aiden the Fierce have an ill-fated love. Throughout the centuries, Aiden a mortal Berserker was killed before he could earn his immortality. Since then, he keeps being reincarnated but as soon as he kisses Regin he remembers Aiden's memories. Shortly after that, he dies. Regin is taken captive by Declan Chase the Magister of the Order. Regin realizes right away that Declan is Aiden reincarnated once again. Somehow Regin has to escape without alerting Declan to his past or she knows he will be killed again yet at the same time, she must keep her own self alive too.

I didn't enjoy Dreams of a Dark Warrior as I have some of the other books in this series. Mainly it was because of Declan. I had a really hard time with his character. He was very badly damaged as a teenager and his hatred of immortals has shaped his whole life. I found his character not very appealing. I thought his behavior was hard to redeem.

Now having said how much I didn't like Declan, I did really like Regin. She had a lot of funny one liners that were quite humorous. If you have liked Cole's humor in the past you will continue to enjoy it in this book, as well. Regin and Declan have such a struggle in this book. The reader really wonders how all the problems are going to be solved between Declan and Regin. I think the author did a pretty good job of showing a change in Declan. He just wasn't a very appealing hero for me, though.

7 comments:

Amanda said...

Hey Jill!

First, I would like to say that I love your blog. I am madly in love with romance novels so, finding someone else who is as well is just great.

Second, I noticed you read quite a bit of Kresley Cole. Is she someone you would recommend? I'm always looking for new authors and I love it when I can read books in a series. They make me feel like a part of the books. :)

I just finished Shannon McKenna's McCloud series after reading one of your reviews and I absolutely loved them!

I can't wait to read your next review! Thanks for writing them!

Hilcia said...

Jill, I still have this book in my TBR! I keep/kept hoping that Cole would redeem Declan after reading the last book... *sigh* Hmm... I'm hoping the book will still work for me.

nath said...

Hmmm, I guess it's all about balance :) It's too bad you didn't like Declan much :(

I tried picking up this book and decided that no, I can do without this series ^_^;

Tracy said...

I just bought this a week or so ago but haven't gotten to it yet. I love the IAD series so am looking forward to it. Thanks for the great review.

Jill D. said...

Hi Amanda! Thank you so much for the lovely compliment! I would absolutely recommend Kresley Cole. Her Imortal After Dark series is really great. Here is more information about the series: http://romancerookie.blogspot.com/2008/12/series-sunday-immortals-after-dark.html

I have really enjoyed McKenna's books and I think if you like those then you will enjoy Cole's books too.

Let me know what you think after you have tried one!

Jill D. said...

Hilcia - Yeah, Declan was a tough character for me. I know that other people found him redeemable and I thought Cole did a good job of developing the relationship, but it just wasn't my favorite.

Nath - Well so far I still am enjoying the series. But not every book can be a favorite, right? This one just wasn't, LOL.

Tracy - Yes, this series is also one of my favorites. Whenever a new book is published and I hurry up and read it. Then I have to hurry up and wait for the next one, LOL. I hope you enjoy this latest one.

Bev said...

I love your blog. It's fun to read and I am so glad I found it.
Love Kresey Cole. Have you read Karen Marie Moning? Love her too.
Thanks for sharing~~~~