Sunday, March 20, 2011

Review - Undead and Uneasy



Title: Undead and Uneasy
Author: MaryJancie Davidson
Publishing Date: 2007
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Rating: C+
Sensuality: Warm
Book Disclosure: I listened to an audio book that I borrowed from my library.

Undead and Uneasy is the 6th book in MaryJanice Davidson's Betsy Taylor series. Betsy Taylor is the Queen of the Vampires. She really doesn't want to be a Queen. She didn't even want to be a vampire. She woke up one morning to find that she was dead and had been turned into a vampire. In the big Book of the Dead, it prophesied that she would be queen and her consort would be the delectably sexy, Eric Sinclair. Sure enough it comes true and now Betsy is planning her wedding to Eric. Betsy is about to pull her hair out because nobody wants to help her with all the arrangements most of all, the lucky groom.

I have only listened to this series on audio and never read any of the books. I like the way that Lucy Woo narrates the stories. She does Betsy's voice really well, but I don't like the way she does Sinclair. I think it is hard for women narrators to do men's voices well. Sinclair always comes across as sounding very condescending and I don’t think that if I was reading the book myself he wouldn’t sound condescending.

Anyway, I thought this Betsy book was average. Betsy is very demanding in this book and she tended to get on my nerves. Sinclair and most of the usual cast was missing in this book most of the time, so it was mainly Betsy front and center. I thought the mystery was obvious and it takes Betsy a while to catch on. It was just an okay read. I don't know if I will continue on with the series.

2 comments:

Bev(QB) said...

Jill, I'm a fan of this series on audio too (read the 1st book in print and gave it a "meh"). I agree that Nancy Wu (pssst, name check) doesn't nail Sinclair at all, but the rest? LOVE her voice choices. I can't wait for Tina to come on-stage-- Wu's Tina gives the character an ambiguous shading so that I'm never quite sure if she's being sincere or dryly sarcastic. Love her. And Wu nails Betsy and Jessica too. Actually, I think it's only Sinclair's voice that I can't stand, particularly during the smexin' scenes (which are usually mercifully short).

Jill D. said...

Hey Bev,

I agree with you. I like how she does everyone's voice but Sinclair's. And yep the sex scenes are the worst, LOL! I am glad it's not just me who feels this way.