Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Review - First Lady



Title: First Lady
Author: Susan Elizabeth Phillips
Publishing Date: 2000
Genre: Contemporary
Rating: B
Sensuality: Warm
Book Disclosure: I listened to the audio version that I borrowed from my library.

Cornelia Case wants nothing more than to escape her life in the public eye. After her husband, the president of the United States was assassinated Cornelia longs to experience the ordinary. She manages to disguise herself and elude the secret service men tasked with her safety. On her adventure she meets up with Matt Jorvich who finds himself the guardian to two children Lucy and Button. Lucy at 14 whose Mother recently died has been raising Button by herself. Cornelia finds herself on a journey with the Jorvich to find the girls' grandmother. Along the way Cornelia finds herself part of a family.

First Lady was an enjoyable read. I thought the characters were endearing. The adventures they found themselves in were fun to listen to. First Lady isn't my favorite book by SEP. I can't really put my finger on why. I enjoyed the characters. Although I thought maybe towards the end that Cornelia and Matt were extremely stubborn in their resistance to their feelings for one another, Matt especially about having a family. If they would have just talked about things, misunderstandings could have been avoided. I know this review is short, but I just don't have much more to say about it. I enjoyed the story, but it wasn't my favorite by SEP. That about sums it up for me.

*Interesting factoid:* Lucy makes an appearance in SEP’s latest release Call Me Irresistible as Teddy Beaudine’s fiancé.

4 comments:

Leslie said...

I listened to this after reading Call Me Irresistible and really enjoyed it! Lucy was a lot of fun and the whole road trip setup was amusing.

Maija said...

Yesterday I read my very first SEP, Kiss an Angel. And boy was it good! It could be one of my favorites this year! Now I came to check what you've read from her and if you liked them. Are all her books wonderful? Kiss an Angel was a bit older book. I wonder if she still writes the same kind of books?

nath said...

Ohhh, so that's where you met Lucy. I read this one a loooong time ago and didn't leave much of an impression :(

Maija said...

I just a came back to tell you that I started This Heart of Mine. I had to read more from her, and I had that one in my bookshelf (my friend borrowed it to me a couple of months ago). I know it isn't ideal to start with part X in a series, but so far I've liked it and I can see SEP's great style in this one, too. I think I'll be buying more of her books, starting with It Had to Be You. (The heroine in This Heart of Mine seems to be the sister of the heroine from It Had to Be You. Of course these books would be best read in order, but getting glimpses of It Had to Be You's leading pair hasn't bothered me.)