Saturday, October 17, 2009

Review - Tempt Me at Twilight




Title: Tempt Me at Twilight
Author: Lisa Kleypas
Publishing Date: 2009
Genre: Historical
Rating: A-
Sensuality: Hot
Book Disclosure: Rented this one from Paperspine

Tempt Me at Twilight is the third book in Lisa Kleypas' Hathaway series. Poppy Hathaway is almost finished with her third season. She feels confident that she and Michael Bayning are going to marry, just as soon as he tells his father. Michael is afraid his father won't approved of Poppy because of her less than normal family and less than blue blood. To complicate matters, Harry Rutledge the owner of the famous Rutledge Hotel wants Poppy for his own. Poppy has a way about her which Harry finds refreshing and surprising and not much surprises Harry anymore. What Harry wants Harry gets and he proceeds to come between Poppy and Michael.

It's no secret that I love Lisa Kleypas. She is easily one of my top five favorite authors. I didn't really have any big expectations going into this book, other than the fact it is written by Kleypas and was hoping for a good story. When I first started reading about Harry, I was worried that he wasn't good hero material. He is a ruthless man, cold and calculating, willing to do whatever is necessary to get what he wants. Even though I didn't like several underhanded things that he does to Poppy, I liked that he was upfront about who he was and doesn't apologize for his behavior.

The true beauty is that Harry slowly evolves from a villain to hero, all through his love for Poppy. Poppy really surprised me. In the previous books in this series, she hovered in the background and really didn't leave an impression on me. In this book she shines, though. She is sweet natured and wants nothing more than to live a peaceful and simple life. Her life is anything but that with the Hathaway's as her family. Then once Harry barges in and takes control she realizes that she is going to have to assert herself or Harry will walk all over her. She does this with grace and compassion.

Tempt Me at Twilight really is a lovely story. I love the family dynamics between the Hathaway's. This time we get more snippets between Leo and Ms. Marks, Leo with Poppy and Poppy with Beatrix. Kleypas truly give the reader a sense of kinship with these characters. This is a great series and is one that should reside on your keeper shelf.

Here is what others had to say:

Book Binge
The Book Smugglers
Dear Author
The Good, The Bad, The Unread
Happily Forever After
Lurv a la Mode
Impressions of a Reader
Book Pushers Anonymous
Romance Book Heaven

This book can be purchased in print or kindle format from Amazon.

10 comments:

Grain de Beaute said...

Great review Jill.♥ I can't wait to read this book.

~ames~ said...

I really enjoyed this one too! Of course now I can't wait for Beatrix to get her book. LOL

And Harry - I like how he changed.

Marissa said...

I have just finished reading the Wallflowers, I really liked them, so this series is now high on my TBR! Great review, this story sounds like my cup of tea.

Tracy said...

Great review! I still need to read book 2 in this series before I did into this one. I'm looking forward to it though. :)

nath said...

hey Jill :D Glad you enjoyed it :D You liked it better than me :D

Jill D. said...

Joyce and Tracy - Yes, you ladies definitely need to catch up and read this one. You are in for a treat!

Ames - Yes, I am looking forward to more of the Hathaways. I wonder how Leo and Ms. Marks story will turn out.

Marrisa - I love Kleypas. After I read the wallflower series, I went out and gobbled up her back list. I think I have read just about everything she has written. You are going to like this series too!

Nath - It seems this one got mixed reviews. I think I liked more than a lot of people.

Kate Diamond said...

I really enjoyed Harry. He felt like the classic Kleypas hero, and I am a sucker for that kind of guy! (In my historicals... not in real life...)

Kate said...

I can't wait to read this one - I really enjoy the Hathaway books. And I may be the only person in the world not looking forward to Leo's book (unless this one changes my opinion), but I can't wait to read Beatrix's. What an original.

Maija said...

I just recently read Dreaming of You and Devil in Winter and loved them both. I think this book is my next Kleypas :)

Jill D. said...

Kate D. - LOL, yeah that is how I like my heroes too... on the page and not in reality :)

Kate - Oh no! Leo too much angst? Not quite living up to hero material? I hope Kleypas can do him justice. Beatrix's should be good. Was she the one with the theft problem?

Maija - I know you will enjoy it!