Friday, October 30, 2009

Review - The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie


Title: The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie
Author: Jennifer Ashley
Publishing Date: May 2009
Genre: Historical
Rating: A-
Sensuality: Hot
Book Disclosure: This is Shameless Amyless's Book Club pick for October and I checked it out from the library.

The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie is the first book in a new series, Highland Pleasures by Jennifer Ashley. Ian Mackenzie spent most of his childhood locked up in an asylum until his brother, the Duke of Kilmorgan came to his rescue. Since then, he has been living his life as normal as he can. Up until he meets Beth Ackerley, that is. Mrs. Ackerley is engaged to a broke playboy, Lyndon Mather. Ian is an expert at appraising treasure and once he lays eyes on Beth he is certain she is a rare and very valuable treasure, one that would certainly be waisted on Mather. He proceeds to break up their engagement and is determined to make Beth his wife.

Wow, what a treat! I might as well jump on the bandwagon along with everybody else who has written a glowing review of this book. I really enjoyed it. Ian was such an unusual character in that he is depicted as being mad. He isn't really mad. He's quite brilliant actually. I loved how when he focuses on something, he really, really focuses on it. He gets tunnel vision. Everything else fades into he background. So, imagine the intensity when Beth becomes his focus. I can sum it up in one word - Yum!

This is the first time I have ever had the pleasure of reading something by Jennifer Ashley. I am honestly shaking my head in wonderment at how this can be, because she is a wonderful writer. This book had all the things I love in a romance. She has great dialogue between her characters, great pacing and the characters are very vivid. Even the secondary characters who have enticed me to keep coming back for more.

If I had to have one complaint it would be how Beth handles a few things. There is a murder mystery part of the plot and Beth gets it into her head that she needs to solve this murder or Ian will be forever hunted down my the dastardly inspector. She has a few TSTL (To Stupid To Live) moments where her safety and judgement are in question. Other than that, I loved it! I can't wait to read more!

Here is what others had to say:

Rambling about Romance, etc.
I Just Finished Reading
Racy Romance Reviews
My Thoughts on Nothing Much at All
Breezing Through
Musings of a Bibliophile
Randi Romance Reader
Smexy Books
Dear Author
Tracy's Place
Good Books, Bad Books and Everything in Between
Rosario's Reading Journal
Gossamer Obsessions

This book can be purchased in print or kindle format from Amazon.

12 comments:

Grain de Beaute said...

Jill,


Thanks for writing a wonderful review! I've been seeing this book in every romance blog I visit. And most of them, if not all, said this book by Jennifer Ashley was wonderful. I'm adding this book on my TBR list. I've never read anything by Ashley before, but this book seems like the perfect book to start with.

Jill D. said...

Hey Joyce - I am so glad I read this book. I hope you get to it soon and let me know how you liked it.

Mandi said...

Very much looking forward to the next in this series. I have read Mortal Temptations under her Allyson James name, but was much more impressed with Lord Ian.

Kristie (J) said...

This one really Rocked my Socks so I'm glad to see yours are rocked too. Ian was such a different kind of hero and yep - I was thinking that much concentration focused on the heroine was a wow thing too.
I tried one of her paranormal books and it didn't work at all for me, but if you are looking for other rec's, Peril of the Heart and The Pirate Next Door are also wonderful reads - not quite as good as Lord Ian - but still very good!

Jill D. said...

Mandi - Oh Yes, I already have the next book on my wish list, LOL. I was definitely intrigued by the other characters.

Kristie - Thanks for the recommendations. I'll look into those too. I love it when I discover a new author I love!

nath said...

Well you already know what I thought of the book, so I'm glad you enjoyed it :D Looking forward to the next book as well :D

Maija said...

Yep, this was a really nice book. I loved it also!

Christine said...

YAY!!! I'm so glad you loved this one so much!!! I'm sad to say I didn't get around to reading it this month for the book club. :(

I read mostly lighthearted books this month because it was such a busy month and I was so sleepy at night. :(

But I will get to it soon... it's obviously a book that shouldn't be missed.

Jill D. said...

Nath - Good, maybe we can buddy review...

Christine - Ha, I know why you didn't get a chance to read it, you were busy getting in shape and challenging yourself with bike riding and running. When you do get to it, I hope you like it. Actually, I am pretty sure that you will :)

Mary (Bookfan) said...

Nice review, it's now on my TBR list. Thanks!

Katrin said...

I've read this book some month ago. I LOVED it. It got me hooked on Ashley, although I have to say that I like her historicals much more than her paranormals!

Jill D. said...

Katrin - I have Pride Mates which is a paranormal of hers that releases next year on my wishlist. It sounds good. Sometimes I find I like one authors historicals, better than their contemps. We shall see...