Friday, October 16, 2009
Maili and Jessica are paying tribute to Kathleen Winsor, author of the infamous novel Forever Amber by creating their top 16 romance novels. If still alive Winsor would have been 90 today. I have actually read Forever Amber. I think it was about five or six years ago. It was one of those books that has been talked about with lots of controversy surrounding it, so naturally I was intrigued. It was second to only Gone with the Wind for shocking popularity during the 1940s. I could see why it was a shocking story, especially during that time period. It was written in 1945.
Amber, the main character was a very promiscuous woman willing to do what she thought was necessary in order to survive. I have to admit I didn't like her very much, nor the man she loved Bruce. Both were extremely selfish individuals. If was to review the book it would have been a difficult one to rate. I would have given it a "D" just based on the characters personalities and their shameless behavior. More than once I wanted to throw the book at the wall. The story itself is a sweeping saga that, if I remember correctly spans something like 15 years. It's not even really a romance because there is no happy ending and Amber sleeps with so many men, I lost count. I guess I am glad I can say I read it. Was it worth it? Absolutely not, LOL.
So this is turning out to be some tribute! Now for the fun stuff. It was difficult to do, but some how I managed to come up with a list of my top 16 romances. These are not in any particular order. That would be impossible.
1. Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
2. Annie's Song by Catherine Andersen
3. Morning Glory by LaVyrle Spencer
4. Shadow Touch by Marjorie M. Liu
5. Spell of the Highlander by Karen Marie Moning
6. Heaven Texas by Susan Elizabeth Phillips
7. Warprize by Elizabeth Vaughan
8. Dark Desires After Dusk by Kresley Cole
9. The Shadow and The Star by Laura Kinsale
10. Over the Edge by Suzanne Brockman
11. Heiress for Hire by Erin McCarty
12. Prince of Dreams by Lisa Kleypas
13. Cry No More by Linda Howard
14. A Kingdom of Dreams by Judith McNaught
15. The Duke by Gaelen Foley