Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Review - Mind Games



Title: Mind Games
Author: Carolyn Crane
Publishing Date: March 2010
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Rating: B+
Sensuality: Hot
Book Disclosure: I purchased a new copy at the RT book signing. I was able to meet Carolyn Crane at RT. I will say that I consider CJ a good friend and it's possible my review might be biased :)

Mind Games is the first book in a new trilogy by Carolyn Crane. It is told in first person by Justine Jones, a very unusual character indeed. Justine is a hypochondriac who swears she is on the verge of having a vein star rupture in her brain. See her mother was also a hypochondriac who believed she suffered from vein star syndrome. Ironically enough Justine's mother died from the exact thing that she feared. Justine is approached by a man named Packard who mysteriously knows more about Justine than their first meeting would warrant. He asks Justine to be a part of his vigilante crime fighting team.

Mind Games pleasantly surprised me with its highly unconventional plot and characters. It has a comic book, superhero kind of vibe to it. Only the superheroes in this book don't have superpowers. They have varying degrees of hypochondria that allow them to take down bad guys by transferring their fears into their evil opponents/victims. These superheroes are a group of misfits who never seemed to belong until Packard gave them a home and a focus - a way to channel their fears to let them live reasonably normal lives. Most of the characters are unusual, but Crane is able to walk a fine line between interesting and quirky. Yes, they are strange but not caricatures of strangeness.

Mind Games has a definite heroine, but two possible heroes. Justine has to determine which one is good and which one is bad. What is interesting is that things are not defined by black and white, but varying shades of grey. This makes Justine's decision all the more difficult, but makes for a much more interesting read. Hard core romance readers might not like that the hero is not clearly defined and by the end of the story it is still not determined who Justine will be with. I am very curious to explore this interesting world Ms. Crane has created.

Here is what others had to say:
Lurv aLa Mode
Dear Author
Alexia's Books and Such
Smokin' Hot Books
Babbling About Books and More
Read React Review
The Book Smugglers
SciFiGuy.Ca
Book Addict
Alpha Heroes

This book can be purchased in print or kindle format from Amazon.

8 comments:

Mollie said...

I'm looking forward to reading this one. I got it for my Mom @ RT to give to her for mother's day. Just waiting on her to read it so I can borrow it! Sounds good! Great review.

nath said...

Definitively sounds interesting :D It's funny, because Leslie has just reviewed it as well :D I need to get to it very soon :D

KT Grant said...

Count me in as a Team Cucumber woman.

Tracy said...

I loved this book. As a romance reader I really had to go into the book telling myself not to expect a romance so the bit that there is is a pleasant surprise.

Jill D. said...

Mollie - Hey how are you doing? It was fun getting to see you at RT. Carolyn sure was nice and I sure am glad I enjoyed her book. I hope you and your Mom enjoy it too.

Nath - I didn't know Leslie review it. I'll have to head over there and see what she said :)

Katie - Team Cucumber? Wasn't that Patience, LOL?

Tracy - I was surprised by the romance too! So which guy do you want Justine to end up with, LOL?!

~ames~ said...

I'm glad you liked it! I have this one in my tbr pile and really need to pick it up soon. :P

Hilcia said...

So glad you liked it, Jill. I have this in my tbr and hope to get to it soon. Again! (long story).... but from what I had already read, I remember really enjoying the premise. Quite creative.

Jill D. said...

Ames - If you like the way CJ writes her blog posts, you will enjoy the book. She is fun and creative!

Hilcia - Well I hope you get a chance to get back to it. Long story or not, I hope everything is going okay.