Monday, June 23, 2008

Guess that Book



I thought I would have a little fun this week and play a game. I am posting an excerpt from a favorite book of mine. All you have to do is read the excerpt and figure out what book it's from. I think this one is pretty easy, at least I hope so. If you haven't read the book, after reading the following passage I am sure you will want too! Hee, hee, hee, I know I am sooooo eeeevviiiillll! I'll be happy to give hints if you need them, but I don't think you will. Have fun and happy reading!

He re-covered the car as tenderly as a mother covers a sleeping infant. Wordlessly he fished his keys out of his jeans pocket and held them out to her.

She took them, then looked down at her clothes. “I’m wet.”

“I know,” he replied. “I’ve been looking at your nipples.”

Her mouth fell open, and she quickly clamped her hands over the pertinent portions of her wet T-shirt. “Why didn’t you say something?” she demanded hotly.

He made a scoffing noise in the back of his throat. “What, you think I’m crazy?”

“It would serve you right if I drove your truck without changing clothes!”

He shrugged. “After you let me see this, plus your nipples, I guess I owe you.”

She started to argue that she hadn’t let him see her nipples, that he had looked without her permission; then she remembered that she had seen a lot more than his nipples that morning and decided not to bring up the subject.

Like he was going to give her the choice. “Besides,” he pointed out, “you saw my cock. That has to be worth more points than nipples.”

“Hah,” she said. “Value is in the eye of the beholder. And I did tell you to cover up, if you’ll remember.”

“After you’d watched for how long?”

“Only long enough to call Mrs. Kulavich and get your number,” she said self-righteously, because it was the truth. So what if she’d had to chat with Mrs. Kulavich for a minute? “And you didn’t seem to think it was important enough to cover up. No, you waved it around like you were starting a race with it.”

“I was enticing you.”

“You were not! You didn’t know I was looking.”

He arched an eyebrow.

She threw the keys back at him. “I wouldn’t drive your truck now if you begged me! It probably has cooties in it! You lech, you disgusting … disgusting penis-waver—“

He fielded the keys with one hand. “Are you saying you weren’t enticed?”

She started to tell him she hadn’t felt even a twinge of enticement, but her tongue refused to utter what would have been the biggest lie of her life.

He smirked. “Thought so.”

There was only one way to recover the upper hand. J--- put her hands on her hips, letting her nipples thrust against the thin wet layers of bra and T-shirt. Like a laser-guided missile, his gaze homed in on the front of her shirt. She saw him swallow.

“You don’t play fair,” he said thickly.

She smirked in retaliation for his smirk. “Remember that,” she said, and turned to leave the garage.

He slipped past her. “I go first,” he said. “I want to see you stepping into the sunlight.”

Her hands clamped back in position over her breasts.

“Spoilsport,” he muttered.

18 comments:

Shannon said...

Mr. Perfect!!!! My all time favorite Linda Howard novel. Sam is one of the sexiest heroes ever (that would be the reason he is in my hut on the DIK island!)

Christine said...

LOL How cute is that? I've never read Linda Howard.

Shannon said...

Wait! You have never read the book? Go get in right now!

Christine said...

LOL Maybe I'll make Mr. Perfect my Desert Island Keeper Challenge read! :)

Anonymous said...

Great excerpt! I haven't read this either. In fact, I haven't read anything that Linda Howard has written. But now that I know what this is, I have just ordered it from paperbackswap! Thanks!

Jill D. said...

Shannon, Wow! You are way to quick! Maybe I made this one too easy, hah! I just did a reread of Mr. Perfect and the dialog is fantastic. I could have picked about three more passages and they would have been just as good.

Christine and Sarah, You ladies are in for a treat with Linda Howard. She writes some of the best male heroes around. Mr. Perfect is one of my favorites.

Kris said...

LOL, I forgot about that one. It has been too long since I read it. I am headed off to re-read now. Thanks, that was fun.

Kris said...

PS, I am on my way to LW again today, I will wave as I go through Winter Haven :)

Holly said...

LOVE Mr. Perfect. That was one of the best scenes in the entire book. LH sure can do dialogue.

Jill D. said...

Kris, Waving back :)

Holly, Linda is defintely the best. There were so many good dialogue scenes I had a hard time choosing which passage to post. I also really liked the egg scene too. It takes place right before the one I posted.

Kristie (J) said...

OK - I'm too late to win but by the time I'd read this far:

He re-covered the car as tenderly as a mother covers a sleeping infant. Wordlessly he fished his keys out of his jeans pocket and held them out to her.

She took them, then looked down at her clothes. “I’m wet.”

“I know,” he replied. “I’ve been looking at your nipples.”

I knew EXACTLY which book it was! One of my favourites too!
Chris - are we going to have to talk girl! There are so many great reads we have to get you up to speed on!!

Kristie (J) said...

And Sarah - you too!! Mr. Perfect is just well....perfect! The banter between Janie and Sam is totally delicious!
And can we say hilarious window scene. That scene and the washroom scene in After the Night are true romance classic scenes.

Kris said...

I went to go grab this off of my bookshelf and found out I did not own it. So went to the ubs today and bought it. But because of this one I started re-reading Dream Man yesterday. It put me in a Linda Howard mood.

Jill D. said...

Dream Man, that is another good one. Oh man I feel a Linda Howard glom comming on.

Dev said...

It's been a few years since I read Mr. Perfect, but I knew the book as soon as I read the first sentence. Thank you so much! I may have to do a reread of this soon. This is one of my all-time favorites.

Dev said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jill D. said...

Hi Dev! Welcome to my blog. I thought maybe this passage was too easy, LOL. I just couldn't pass it up though. It completely shows the tone of the book to a T.

Shannon said...

It really is a fabulous book. So much so that it is the book for my book club this month. After talking about it over here I just have to do a reread, so why not get all of bloglandia to join me. You should all read it with me! I posted it on my blog. Let's enjoy Sam together. Oh wait... that sounds so wrong.