Sunday, June 22, 2008

Review – Visions of Heat



Title: Visions of Heat
Author: Nalini Singh
Publication Date: 2007
Genre: Paranormal
Rating: C-
Sensuality: Hot

Don’t hate me, but I did not like this book. I had an incredibly hard time finishing it. I don’t know if it was me or the book. Seeing how this series has been very popular amongst romance readers, it’s probably just me then.

Visions of Heat is the second book in Nalini Singh’s Psy-Changeling series. It features Vaughn D’Angelo, who is a sentinel in the DarkRiver leopard pack. Vaughn himself is a jaguar changeling who was accepted into the pack when he found himself orphaned. He meets Faith NightStar and is immediately attracted to her against his will. Faith is an F-Psy, which means she has the gift of Foresight. She has made a very lucrative living for the Psy, predicting financial success of certain business endeavors. Recently Faith has been having strange experiences and she wants answers. The only problem is she knows she can’t trust anyone. She seeks out Sasha Duncan, the DarkRiver Alpha’s mate for answers. Sasha is a Psy who has gone rogue, so-to-speak. Her story was told in the first book Slave to Sensation.

For me, the biggest problem was that I could not get into the characters. It wasn’t that they weren’t likable, because they were. It is more like they were flat and boring. I just wasn’t riveted by them. I think the main reason for this is because over and over we are told of how much an animal Vaughn is, how close the cat is to having control and yet I didn’t really see that acted out. Basically it was all talk. Come on Vaughn, walk the walk buddy.

I have to admit I am totally confused as to what exactly is the NetMind. If anybody who has read this book gets “it”, please fill me in. I am clueless. The suspense part of the story was forgettable and seemed not quite fully developed.

The one aspect I did like about the book was Faith’s relationship with her father at the end of the story. I like how he turns the table on Faith and shakes her view of him up a bit. That was a nice twist I didn’t see coming. I will be reading the third book in this series Caressed by Ice because I just received it. Let’s hope I like it better than this one.

Here is what others had to say:

The Book Smugglers
Thrifty Reader
Dear Author

14 comments:

Kris said...

This was probably my least fav of the series so far. I had a hard time connecting to the characters as well.

Holly said...

YAY! I'm so glad I'm not the only one who didn't like it. I had a really hard time finish it as well. But the next book? Totally dug it. I think you'll like it better, too.

Jill D. said...

Kris, Oh wow, I thought I was the lone dissenter by not liking the book. I am glad to see I am not alone.

Holly, I am glad to hear you thought the next book was better. I think I have heard a lot of people say that it was their favorite. I definitely plan on reading it.

nath said...

People either love this book or they don't... I personally didn't, but as Holly said, the next one, you'll probably love it! :) I think what didn't work in this book is that you have a similar storyline to StS as in a changeling with a psy who needs to accept emotions... and this is definitively not as powerful as StS, so yeah. Characters weren't as good. The thing though is that it's a very nice setting up for the future :D

Mollie said...

This was my least favorite so far. But I second Holly, the one after is good!!!!!

KT Grant said...

I liked Vaughn but had issues with Faith. But I like it more than Caressed By Ice. And Nalini can sure write some yummy sex scenes,
Great review as always :D

Christine said...

VoH was my least favorite in this series as well. CBI and MtP are definitely my favorites... depends on the day which one I like better, but CBI perhaps has a slight edge because its more dramatic.

.... it isn't coincidental that Judd rhymes with *thud*! LOL ha ha. ;)

Jill D. said...

Nath, I couldn't agree with you more. It just seemed a repeat from the first book, but not as good.

Mollie, Good to hear, I plan on reading the next book.

Thanks Katie, I was afraid I was going to be hit with rotten tomatoes for not liking this one. I do agree with you on the sex though; Hot, hot hot!

Christine, LOL! You are so silly! So Judd is a Stud, huh!

Kristie (J) said...

It's my least favourite too so far. I remember what drove me crazy was he was constantly carrying her - even in Leopard form.
And I don't understand the Psy-net thing either. After driving myself crazy trying to 'get it' in the first book, I gave up and just went along with it.

Christine said...

LOL Jill! Touche!

Ana said...

I bring the rotten tomatoes! : )

I did not think Slave to Sensation was the best thing ever but loved Visions of Heat. I liked the characters and specially Vaughn *drools* and the whole thing with the psymind I find interesting.

Caressed by Ice is next on my TBR!

Jill D. said...

Hey, don't hate me, I tried I really did, *ducking*

I have Caressed by Ice in the pile, maybe I will read it next too!

KT Grant said...

Jill, I tagged you on my blog. Heh heh.

Ana said...

I can't wait to see what you thought of The Flame and the Flower. Do you remember what I said about Whitney My Love? Multiply that by a 1,000 , that's how much I loathed TFATF.

It is a classic though and should be read me thinks if only so that we can appreciate more what we have these days. ; )