Thursday, June 26, 2008

Review - Lover Enshrined



Title: Lover Enshrined
Author: J.R. Ward
Publishing Date: June 2008
Genre: Paranormal
Rating: B
Sensuality: Hot

Lover Enshrined is the sixth novel in the Black Dagger Brotherhood series. It features the vampire warrior Phury along with the continuation of the battle between vampires and lessers. Phury has agreed to become the Primale of the Chosen. This means he has to willingly bed his first mate Cormia along with forty other Chosen and try his hardest to impregnate them all to provide the brotherhood with new warriors. The problem is Phury is deeply depressed and a drug addict. About five months have past since book five Lover Unbound took place and Phury has yet to mate with Cormia. While Phury is wallowing in depression Cormia is discovering a whole new world. She mainly keeps to herself feeling out of place away from the Sanctuary.

I really felt badly for Phury throughout most of this story. I really thought the other brothers let him down and weren’t there for him in his time of need. It is such a shame too because in all the other books Phury was always there for everybody else. As a matter of fact he has spent his life putting everyone else’s needs before his own. I just wish that in his time of need his brothers would have shown their support of Phury instead of turning away from him and letting him deal with his drug addiction on his own.

As much as I was bothered by the brothers’ treatment of Phury, I still enjoyed this book and couldn’t turn the pages fast enough. Even though I may have wanted Phury’s story to be written differently, Ward is still an exceptional story teller. Each and every character felt very individual and even small secondary roles were portrayed with striking details. The details are in the way each character would think and act and how they express themselves. She makes all her characters seem so human, yet you can’t help but feel for them and with them as they go through their ups and downs.

There was a lot happening in this book with multiple storylines. Cormia and Phury had book space, but it wasn’t always together. I would have enjoyed the romance more if they would have spent more time together. John, Blay and Quinn had a lot of air time. I enjoy their part in the books, John especially. There is a unique twist with the lesser. Also we learn more about Rhevenge. I am not sure what to make of him. I am thinking he is not really my cup of tea, but we shall see. I definitely plan on reading the next one. I hate to sound like a fan girl, but Ward is a master storyteller. Where she leads, I will follow.

Here is what others had to say:

Cupid's Chokhold
Karen Knows Best
The Book Binge
Dear Author
The Good, The Bad and The Unread
Ramblings on Romance
The Happily Ever After
The Reading Spot
Lesley W's Book Nook

8 comments:

KT Grant said...

I so want Rehv and his interesting quirk. :D
Phury and Cormia's romance disappointed me, but I am still very much a "crack" addict.

Christine said...

... Ward is still an exceptional story teller. Each and every character felt very individual.

I think this is truly Ward's talent. Especially with the way she writes her male characters and their relationships with each other. I now think of the BDB series as a family saga, not a paranormal romance. This way I'll still enjoy the stories but avoid some of the disappointment that she's not writing romance anymore. :(

I think Rehv's appeal to me is that he is that silent, overlooked hero. Think about the sacrifices he has made and what he does to protect the women in his life and asks for nothing in return, not even a thank you: Bella, his mother, Marissa, Xhex, Chrissy (the human who works in ZeroSum)... AND he doesn't hesitate to do what's right regardless of what anyone else thinks. Well, as long as you overlook the fact that he's also a drug dealer and pimp! LOL oops! ;)

I'm glad you liked LEn!

Brie said...

Nice Review, Jill! I did like LEn, but looking at it a few weeks after the fact, I am more than dissapointed in the lack of romance. And I'm not happy with the way Phury was treated by the Brother's and by extension Ward.

Maybe Rehv's book will be better as far as romance goes, but after the last two books, I'm not convinced it will be. I think that Rehv has too much going on: He's a drug dealer, a Sympath (whatever that is), being blackmailed, and with the little surprise position he stepped into at the end of the book, he's got a full plate. Add to that the continuing story arcs of the younsters and other characters that are sure to make an apperance, and I think that Rehv will become lost in the book along with the romance. Needless to say, I'll wait for reviews before I check that one out.

Wow! I'm a little bitter. Who knew?

Jill D. said...

Katie, I think I enjoyed this book more than the average person because I went into reading it with the mindset that there wasn't going to be a lot of romance. I wasn't as disappointed as I could have been. A major factor in that mind set was your review :)

I now think of the BDB series as a family saga, not a paranormal romance. This way I'll still enjoy the stories but avoid some of the disappointment that she's not writing romance anymore.

Ditto, I feel the same way.

As far as Rhev goes, I am not sure what to make of him. I think Ward has a lot of potential with his story. It could get pretty interesting.

Brie, Yeah, Phury really did get the short end of the stick as far as support in the brotherhood goes. I was stunned when Wrath just kicked him out. I do think you brought up a good point about Phury and Z's relationship. Now that I look back on it I think Z acted true to his character. But I think he was a selfish bastard for not being more caring of Phury's problem. While I am ranting, where the hell was Vishious? (sorry about the spelling) I mean, Phury totally sacrificed himself for V and he never even made an appearance in the book. I guess I am starting to sound a little bitter too :)

Brie said...

While I am ranting, where the hell was Vishious?

Good question, Jill. You would think that V would have shown some concern for Phury. The guy did take his place so that V could be with Jane. And on that note, why didn't "Doc Jane" offer any assistance to Phury about his addiction. If it had gotten as bad as we were told it had then I don't see why she wouldn't have tried to offer him some medical advice. She was able to work all kinds of other miracle's on vampires in this book, why not help an addict out?

KT Grant said...

I know some had issues with the lack of romance in LEN but with Rehv's book I can see lots of sex and romance coming back and stronger than ever!
I am glad my own review helped with your views. *blush*

Jill D. said...

Brie, I just wish Ward had been a little more sympathetic to Phury. Where is the love?

Katie, I hope you are right and that their is more romance. Although, I am a little worried about Rhev's idea of romance :)

KT Grant said...

Well, Rehv is kind of smooth with the ladies, so him and his barb will do just fine. :P