Thursday, June 19, 2008

Review - Unlawful Contact




Title: Unlawful Contact
Author: Pamela Clare
Publishing Date: April 2008
Genre: Romantic Suspense
Rating: A-
Sensuality: Hot

Sophie Alton is a journalist for a Denver newspaper. She has been following a piece on female inmates, specifically Megan Rawlings. Sophie has scheduled a meeting with Sophie and on her way discovers that Megan has runaway (illegally) with her eight month old daughter. Sophie gets an anonymous tip that Megan’s brother, Marc Hunter, might know where she is hiding. He has spent the last six years in the state prison for killing a man. Sophie sets up an interview with him. During the interview she is kidnapped by Marc during his escape. Sophie doesn’t realize who Marc is right away. He was her first love, whom she gave her virginity to twelve years ago.

Marc is true hero material. From reading the above passage you wouldn’t think it and that is the beauty of this story. You may think he is morally corrupt, but that is what people have chosen to think about him, not what is the truth. This story slowly reveals the true Marc and what is discovered is wonderful. One of the best things about Marc was his absolute devotion to Sophie. In his eyes Sophie can do no wrong. He cherishes her so dearly and his love for her is so obvious with his actions and thoughts. Sophie is one lucky lady to have such a wonderful man. Sophie is no slouch herself. She is a very intelligent woman, a bit naïve, but smart none the less.

Clare does such a fantastic job of making the reader understand the characters and why the react the way they do. Sophie and Marc’s are opposites. Sophie is the good girl and Marc’s the bad boy. I loved the relationship between them because their feelings and the situation were so desperate. They had to grasp at whatever little happiness they could find in the present moment, with no guarantees what tomorrow would bring. It made for a harrowing, nail-biting read. I kept wondering how everything would possibly work out in the end. I had no need to worry, because it all does work out fine, but the journey to the happy-ever-after is one fraught with peril and uncertainty.

Here is what others had to say:

Ramblings on Romance
The Book Binge
The Good, The Bad, The Unread
Dear Author

7 comments:

nath said...

Nice and good review :D This one has been sitting in my TBR pile despite all the good reviews. I guess it's time I pull it out right? LOL :)

Kris said...

I have this one in my tbr pile as well and it keeps getting pushed aside. i will have to move it up.

PS, I thought of you today as I drove by Winter Haven (took my oldest to camp in Lake Wales)

Kristie (J) said...

*clapping hands in delight*
Oh good! You do love it! Have you read the previous book Hard Evidence? Julian is the hero of that one and it was almost, almost, almost as good as Unlawful Contact.
And have you tried any of her historicals? They are pretty great too.
And she is SUCH a lovely person in - well - person too!

Ana said...

Another good review of this book!
Hummm....

Jill D. said...

Nath, This is a face paced easy read. I enjoyed it!

Kris, Oh My Gosh! You probably were about a minute from my house! I live right off of hwy 27 which I am sure you drove through to get to lake wales! You probably passed right by me. I was in Orlando last weekend at the Florida Mall. My daughter had a birthday party at the store Libby Lou. Its really cute. The girls get their hair and make up done and then they sing songs out in front of the store. My daughter had a blast.

Kristie, Yes I have read Julian's book Hard Evidence and I was really suprised how much I enjoyed it. I then checked out her backlist and read another one of her books, I forget the title but I think it had the word "Fire" in it.

Ana, Looks like you might want to check this one out... Do you like romantic suspense?

Kris said...

I was there today too to pick her up. Nasty storms!!
I love the Florida Mall, they have some great stores. If you like Italian food, next time you go eat at Buca di Beppos, great food (family style, huge portions).

Kristie (J) said...

That would be Ride the Fire - Oh how I love that book!!