Saturday, April 4, 2009

Review - Dark Victory




Title: Dark Victory
Author: Brenda Joyce
Publishing Date: March 2009
Genre: Time-Travel
Rating: B+
Sensuality: Hot

Dark Victory is the fourth book in Brenda Joyce's Masters of Time series. Tabby Rose is a white witch living in modern day New York City. She comes from a long line of magical women. It is their destiny to fight evil. Tabby has always been connected to a sad grieving boy. It turns out this boy is now a man and not just any man, but a medieval highland warrior. As she is viewing an exhibit in a Manhattan museum she has a vision of him and he his burnt and bleeding. Wanting so badly to help this man that she is drawn to, she casts a spell to send him through time to her. Tabby has never been as powerful a witch as her grandmother, but her spell works and Black Macleod is sent across centuries to New York.

So far this series has been hit or miss for me. The first one I liked okay, the second one I really enjoyed and then the third one fell flat. If Dark Victory follows the pattern, then it should be another book that I liked. Well, guess what? I did! Tabby and Macleod have a lot of issues to work through in this book, but I enjoyed their struggles over evil and(the best part)their smouldering sexual tension. There is lots of angst in this book, so look out!

Both Tabby and Macleod are very stubborn people, who strongly believe in their convictions. Unfortunately, for Tabby and Macleod they both have different views on how to handle their problems. The only thing that they do seem to agree on is their sexual attraction to one another. At one point after Tabby and Macleod refuse to budge in their beliefs, Macleod says to Tabby, "If ye insist on war, we'll war in the day. But not in the night." He puts the kibosh on any more of her protests and they form a sort of truce. Le Sigh. I just love a man who knows what he wants and goes after it.

I will admit that Black Macleod was a little more black than I generally like my heroes to be. He walked a fine line at certain times between being a "bad boy" and just down right cruel. He fully redeems himself in the end, though and that made it all the better. The time travel aspect of the story is very convoluted and definitely got confusing. I am certain I still don't have a full grasp on how it works. I just go with the flow and try not to think to hard about it or pick it apart. If this is one of your pet peeves, then you might have a problem with this aspect of the book. Other than that, it's a promising read.

8 comments:

Kristie (J) said...

Interesting review! I haven't read Brenda Joyce for years. Can this one be read as a stand alone?

Anonymous said...

I have always wanted ot read a Brenda Joyce, because I see them in the drugstore and market all the time. which do you recommend the most?

Jill D. said...

Kristie, Yes I think this can be read alone, but there will be references to other characters who have appeared in previous books. I don't think it's crucial for you to have to have read the other books first. Anything you need to know from past books, will be mentioned and explained.

Jessica, I don't really recommend starting with Joyce's time-travel series unless you love time-travel books. They are entertaining books, but they are not without their problems.

My personal favorite by her is Splendor. It is a stand alone historical and it is one of my favorites. It is a romance between a book sellers daughter and a Russian prince.

Christine said...

Hi Jill!
I'm so happy to see you enjoyed this book so much! Yay! I have it, but still have to read the one (or two) before it. Looking forward to the angst! ;)

p.s. btw, congrats on doing so well in the dabwaha tournament! I am actually in the running in the second chance pool if IRON KISSED wins! *hopeful*

Anonymous said...

Ok, Splendour it is, even tho it makes me think of a sugar substitute. ;)

Jill D. said...

Great Christine! I look forward to your thoughts.

I can't believe how good I was doing in the tournament. It doesn't look so good for Iron Kissed right now, it appears to be the underdog.

Great Jessica! I hope you like it.

Tracy said...

I have this one in the pile but haven't gotten to it yet. I love her time travel stories. My other favs of hers are the deWarrene books. Really good.

Jill D. said...

Tracy, I haven't read her deWarrene books yet, but I do plan on it sometime :)