Thursday, June 4, 2009

Yep, I'm Twittering





Is it twittering or tweeting? I finally succumbed to ANOTHER social networking site, know as Twitter. Are you familiar with Twitter? I'll be honest, I had been hearing about fellow bloggers Twittering, but I was never exactly sure what Twittering was. My initial thought, was that you had to have a cell phone to do it and I have no idea what led me to that conclusion. It's true you can Twitter from a cell phone, but you can also use Twitter from a regular computer with Internet access.

Basically, Twitter to me is a more advanced version of a message board. You set up an account for yourself (it's free) and tell briefly who you are. In under 140 characters or less you can post messages. Other people who are following you can see your messages and you can follow others and see their messages. There is a HOME page where you can view all these messages in order by most recently posted.

I have to admit, it took me a few days to get the hang of Twitter. At first, I had a hard time following the conversations my fellow twitterers were having. I sort of felt like I was crashing a party, I wasn't invited to, but I got over it and just jumped in. Once I did that, I started to see the fun of Twitter.

There are many fellow book lovers and authors on Twitter. Jane of Dear Author, Sarah of Smart Bitches and Katiebabs from Babbling about Books, Wendy the Super Librarian just to name a few. We all get talking about books and it can be a lot of fun. Plus, you can link your blog posts to twitter using twitterfeed.

Jane has a website that lists other bloggers, readers, authors, basically anyone interested in books at romancetweets.com. There you can figure out who you might want to follow, if you aren't already following.

8 comments:

KT Grant said...

Welcome to the addicting world of twitter :D

Leontine said...

Hi Jill,
Yeah I also like the concept of Twiiter and check up on it various moments of the day. Then I get caught up in all the tweets and before you know it I'm tweet responding for ten minutes. Also I think it is a great way to give a shout out about something. I just got the hang of re-tweeting something LOL

Wendy said...

I like Twitter because it allows me to "micro-blog." Funny stuff I find on the Internet, books I'm ordering at work, random-ness that feels even too random for a full-fledged blog post.

Kwana said...

Welcome to the tweet world!

Jill D. said...

Leontine, I haven't retweeted yet. It took me a while to figure out what "RT" meant, LOL!

Wendy, I also like twitter for the real time aspect. When you place a comment usually within 15 minutes people have responded. It's not like when you blog and 8 hour later someone comments or you respond to a comment.

Lori said...

I registered about a year ago, found it far to addicting (I used it at work) then started twittering again about a week ago.

Jill D. said...

Lori, I know what you mean, I have used it a work too. It is hard to get away from it sometimes. I love the instant connection with people.

SarahT said...

It took me an embarrassingly long while to figure out what RT and # meant!