Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Review - Highland Obsession




Title: Highland Obsession
Author: Dawn Halliday (AKA Jennifer Haymore)
Publication Date: August 2009
Genre: Historical (Erotic)
Rating: C-
Sensuality: Burning
Book Disclosure: Rented from Paperspine and part of RT Reading Challenge

Alan MacDonald is Laird to the small village of Glenfinnan. He comes home after growing up in England to take a wife. He chooses Sorcha Stewart. Sorcha hides a secret from Alan in that she was first lovers with the Earl of Camdonn, Alan's good friend. Alan and Sorcha are wed and on their wedding night Cam kidnaps Sorcha after he realizes his feelings run deeper than a casual affair. Cam, Alan and Sorcha are tangled up in a web of deceit and will need to be honest with each other if they are to untangle it.

I was disappointed with Highland Obsession. The characters were flat and undeveloped. The situation between Alan and Sorcha, Sorcha and Cam and Cam and Alan could have been very intense, instead it was bland. Especially, the first half of the story because Alan withdraws both emotionally and physically from the situation and the action can't move forward until Alan is willing to confront both Cam and Sorcha. He finally does in the second half of the book and that is when the book does pick up.

Overall, my impression is not a good one. If this story would have been a little more even in it's pacing and I had been more emotionally drawn to the characters it would have been a better reading experience. On a positive note, at least the book was short.

Here is what others had to say:

Pearl's World of Romance
Errant Dreams Reviews
Book Addict
Lovin' Me Some Romance
Happily Forever After
Book Binge
Stacy's Place on Earth

This book can be purchased in print and kindle format from Amazon

7 comments:

Sophia (FV) said...

It's alway's disappointing when a book doen't meet expectations. But like you said, at least it was short. :)

nath said...

Never even considered this one. I hate love triangle plot.

~ames~ said...

That's too bad you didn't enjoy this one. I bought b/c of favorable reviews I've read. I haven't read it yet though.

Tiffany @ KindleVixen said...

Sorry to see the cover doesn't meet up with the story! I gave you an award on my blog this morning :)

Jill D. said...

Fiction Vixen - Ha! I hope I didn't sound mean when I said "At least it was short"!

Nath - No, I can't see you liking this one. Might as well avoid it.

Ames - Don't take my word for it. I tend to be harsh on Erotic romances. If you like Maya Banks, then you might like this one too.

Kindle Vixen - Thank you for the award!! I'll be sure to check it out!

Pearl said...

Thanks for linking my review! Loved your review even if we don't agree. I was very taken by the triangle issue, less taken by Cam however but loved Alan and Sorcha.
Funny how some things work for someone and totally not for someone else.

Jill D. said...

Pearl - I know sometimes that happens where some really like a book and others don't. I happen to be really picky when it comes to erotic romance. I do enjoy a love triangle, but this one just didn't work for me.