Monday, November 23, 2009

Review - Magic Bites




Title: Magic Bites
Author: Ilona Andrews
Publishing Date: 2007
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Rating: B
Sensuality: Subtle
Book Disclosure: Borrowed from the library

Magic Bites is the first book in Ilona Andrews' Kate Daniels series. Kate Daniels narrates this futuristic series from the first person point of view. She finds herself alone in the world after her guardian is brutally murdered. She takes it upon herself to investigate his murder. As she begins to do this it appears two big factions have been set up against one another - The Pack, a group of shapechangers and The Masters of the Dead, necromancers who can control vampires.

Kate Daniels is a complete Bad Ass (with capital letters). It takes a little while to warm up to her at first. She has a very sarcastic and blunt demeanor. She is a loner and likes it that way. Readers aren't exactly sure just how strong Kate is, or are aware of just what powers she possesses. All they know is that she is quite capable of holding her own against a few very powerful, scary foes. Even Curran, the leader of The Pack and Nataraja, leader of the Undead, aren't exactly sure what Kate is capable of or where her powers are derived from. There were hints, but nothing definite came out in this book.

The real strength in Ilona Andrews writing lies in the world building and descriptions of all the unique creatures that inhabit this world. I was amazed at the imagery and creepy depictions of the variety of life living in Kate's world. Some of it is just darn right gross, yet fascinating. I wish that there would have been more of a romance in Magic Bites. As it was, a certain relationship was just barely hinted at, but that is all there was and fans of romance might be disappointed. I found the characters very compelling and the writing very easy to read that I am definitely interesting in continuing with this series. I have heard it mentioned from others that the romance does pick up in later books.

Here is what others had to say:

Babbling Book Reviews
Stacy's Place on Earth
Ink and Paper
Michelle's Book Blog
Items of Interest
Dear Author
Brooke Reviews
Today I Read
Scooper Speaks
Ciara Stewart
Angieville

This book can be purchased in print or kindle format from Amazon

11 comments:

Patti (@TheLoveJunkee) said...

This is one of my favorite series. Kate is one tough chick. (The romantic tension is killing me though...)

Leontine said...

Kate sounds like an intriguing leading female! I have the series on my shelves and while I love this kind of storytelling, I love it more with a bit of romance so I'm starting in ON THE EDGE by this author. Many say that this has a wonderful romance in it too.

Tiffany @ KindleVixen said...

This is one of my absolute favorite series (man I have a lot of these!). The romance does become more obvious later in books, but it is a good long buildup! Her new series (On the Edge) is much more of a traditional paranormal romance, but with the same awesome world building and wit.

Marissa said...

I never read anything by Ilona Andrews, but I will check out her new series (On the Edge). I like my books to have a little more romance.

Jill D. said...

Hi Ladies! Thanks for stopping by and also introducing me to a new series - well new to me anyway. I actually first got interested in Ilona Andrews after I started seeing reviews of On the Edge. I plan on starting that new series too.

I can't wait to read more in the Magic series. I actually don't mind a slow build up in romance. I can't wait to see where things are headed for Kate!

Ladytink_534 said...

I've heard a whole lot about this author but I haven't decided whether or not I'm going to pick up this book.

kanishk said...

I love it more with a bit of romance so I'm starting in ON THE EDGE by this author.

Lingerie Access

Jill D. said...

Ladytink - Well, if you do decide to read Andrews, let me know what you think.

Kanishk - Great! I hope you enjoy it. I am not sure when I'll get to it. Be sure to let me know how you liked it.

Maija said...

I have first three books waiting to be read. It's nice to know that even though the first book doesn't have much of romance in it, the rest of the books will have more and more...

nath said...

Was this your first book by Ilona Andrews? in which case, it'll fit in your RT Reading Challenge :)

The series gets better and better. Seriously, I wasn't sure about this series after book 1 and 2, but Magic Strikes was great.

You think the world building is her strength? I actually find it a weakness. It's definitively an interesting world, but it feels incomplete to me. There's a lot I can't imagine/figure out.

Jill D. said...

Nath - Woops! I did read this for RT actually, but I forgot to link to the RT Challenge post. I will be reading more in this series. I can't wait to see where the romance leads to.

I do think the world building is fabulous. I think Ilona Andrews knows where it is going, but deliberately gives the reader little bits and pieces. I think it is better this way, instead of huge info dumps, which can drag down the pacing and bore the reader. I think over time all will be revealed. Plus, I think the visual descriptions are great.

Maija - Let me know what you think!! You can even email me if you want :)