Sunday, May 8, 2011

Under the Northern Lights



Title: Under the Northern Lights
Author: Vivian Arend
Publishing Date: 2010
Genre: Paranormal
Rating: C+
Sensuality: Hot
Book Disclosure: I purchased a new copy.

Under the Northern Lights is actually two books in one. Both the first two stories in Vivian Arend's Granite Lake Wolves series are included in this book. The first book is Wolf Signs which the story of Robyn Maxwell, a deaf woman who meets Keil, a local wolf shifter who is next in line for Alpha of his pack at a secluded cabin in the woods. Robyn is a wolf and Keil's mate, but she doesn't know it. She was adopted and hasn't learned her past heritage.

The second story Wolf Fight features Robyn's brother Tad who is a wolf but can't shift. Tad was never able to forget the girl from high school who moved away. Missy reenters Tads life and the sparks pick up right where they left off all those years ago. Tad forms a bond with Missy to protect her from her past.

Under the Northern Lights was a quick and easy read. The characters were likable. I thought Robyn was interesting in that she was deaf but still a strong, determined woman. If she set her mind to do something, nothing was going to stop her. The book was on the short side for my taste. I felt the pack dynamics were lacking and I would have liked to see more depth to the world building and characters. I did like that a lot of the book was action driven. It made for a quick read.

2 comments:

Dr J said...

Loved these first two stories in this series but like all Arend's publications, they are just too short!! She does a masterful job of developing the characters, but I have always felt that just as I become comfortable and get to know the characters a little better, the story ends. Gets to be frustrating after awhile and is disappointing when the writer is just so darned good. Very nice review.

Jill D. said...

Hi Dr. J! I got to meet Ms. Arend at RT this year. She was such a nice lady that I had to give her books a try. I just wish they were longer, LOL! Glad to hear that you enjoy her work.