Thursday, February 28, 2008

Review - Demon Night



Title: Demon Night
Author: Meljean Brook
Publishing Date: February 2008
Genre: Paranormal
Sensuality: Hot
Rating: A-

Ethan McCabe, nicknamed Drifter, has been ordered to watch over Charlie Newcomb. Ethan has been a guardian for the last 120 years. Recently, demons and vampires have teamed up in an attempt to discover a blood substitute so that vampires will not have to rely on feeding directly from another being. Famous scientists and their families have been targeted and their lives are in danger. Among these are Jane and her sister, Charlie Newcomb.

Wow! Demon Night gripped me from the first page and didn’t let go until the end. There are so many wonderful aspects of this book. First, both Charlie and Ethan are completely and fully developed. We know about their backgrounds all the way to their childhood. We learn what makes them happy. We learn what makes them sad. Meljean shows us little nuances that make them who they are and nothing is left out. For example, Ethan has a bit of a western drawl to his speech. Meljean even takes the time to explain the reason for it. It’s the attention to detail of that magnitude, which make this an incredible story.

I really enjoyed Ethan as the hero. He has a forceful, commanding presence but he never was forceful to Charlie. He always made sure that she had control over the final choice. This was a great pairing of people, because Charlie is the type of person who would let someone else make decisions for her. Ethan forces Charlie to think for herself and she becomes stronger for it. It was difficult at times to watch them struggle through their relationship and yet rewarding at the same time.

The plot of this book is just as intricate as the characters and I am sure I would shoot myself in the foot if I even tried to begin to explain it. Suffice it to say, more of this world is revealed in a very satisfying way. Twists and turns abound throughout this story. I cannot wait to see what the author will conjure up next. It’s sure to be heart-pounding entertainment.

Here's what others had to say:

Dear Author
The Good, The Bad, The Unread
Jennie's B(ook)log
Rosario's Reading Journal
The Book Binge
The Book Smugglers

8 comments:

Holly said...

I loved this book, too, Jill. Weren't Ethan and Charlie perfect for each other? I loved seeing Charlie grow and become her own person. So good.

*****SPOILER WARNING!!!!*******

I cried and cried at the end, when Ethan finally admitted his love for her. There was just something so amazing about the way Meljean wrote that scene..with Charlie splitting apart and Ethan turning to walk away...gosh, I read and re-read that scene.

********END SPOILERS*********

I can't wait to see what she's got in store for us next.

Ana said...

I just got book one of this series, can't wait to read.

********Spoiler*******
Just read the spoiler above cause I am THAT weak. WHAT? They don't stay together in the end. Say it isn't so.....

*****end*********

Holly said...

Ana, you're not supposed to read the spoilers! Cheater! LOL

******S********

No, they end up together, but I'm not telling you any more than that.

*****S******

Ana said...

Thanks for reassuring me Holly. I am a spoiler ho I am afraid, I see the word "spoiler" and I am done LOL.

Jill D. said...

Holly, I know what you mean. I wanted Ethan to figure it out, and for a minute there I thought I was going to have to throw the book across the room. Thank God Ethan figured it out!

PS. Didn't you think it was funny that he called her breasts "titties". That just cracked me up.

Ana, Shame on you girl... Actually, I don't think Holly really gave anything away, because if you haven't read the story you really won't know what she is talking about.

Christine said...

I LOVE Meljean Brook's Guardian series! I cried at that part, too, Holly! Meljean always keeps me on the edge of my seat, tugging at my emotions, right to the very end of her novels. I love that.

I loved the way Ethan talked... his accent, the words and expressions he uses... and the way he said so much with a few choice words. But I think Charlie stole the show with her depth and complexity of character. SHE is the one who tugged at my heartstrings the most. Can't wait for the next one!

Jill D. said...

Christine, Meljean is just amazing. Yeah, I loved Ethan's drawl. I liked Charlie too. I am glad Meljean wrote her the way she did. I sometimes get tired of the heroine always kicking butt. I like to see someone struggle from time to time. Then, when they do make it, it's that much more rewarding.

Christine said...

Meljean is definitely the master of perfectly flawed characters. I love a good personal struggle. It makes me love the characters even more.