Monday, February 18, 2008

Review - Untouched

 


Title: Untouched
Author: Anna Campbell
Publishing Date: December 2007
Genre: Historical
Rating: B-
Sensuality: Hot

Grace Paget’s husband recently passed away. Having no means to support herself, she travels to Bristol to come live with her cousin. For some reason, he does not meet Grace at the coach and she winds up kidnapped by two bruisers named Filey and Monks. These two goons are Lord John’s henchmen. They were charged with the task of finding a woman for Matthew, Lord Sheene. They mistake Grace for a whore and bring her back to Matthew.

Matthew has suffered horribly at the hands of his uncle, Lord John for eleven years. Lord John has kept Matthew his prisoner so that he can control all of Matthew’s wealth and estate. When Matthew was fourteen, he suffered from a horrible fever that gave him fits and, since then, has been diagnosed as being mad.. He has been kept isolated from the world. He hasn’t had any contact with anyone, especially a woman, outside the estate walls for eleven long years.

This book is unlike any other romance I have ever read before. The isolation in which the romance takes place is unusual. Three quarters of the book takes place in Matthew and Grace’s “prison”. I liked this aspect of the story though. It gave the book a cozy feel to it. Matthew is very unique. He is the first male virgin hero I have encountered in a romance. Grace and Matthew’s first love scene felt very honest and I really liked that. Grace and Matthew are very likable. They have both been beaten down; he physically and she emotionally. I can’t help but root for their happy ending.

The writing style of Untouched felt a little flowery to me. Campbell uses lots of descriptive, flowing words. It almost seemed a little over the top in some instances where I felt pulled out of the story. (If I was a more cynical person, I would have probably rolled my eyes at a few of the scenes). One other drawback was the eeevil villain. Lord John was quite the Drama Queen. Actually, now that I think about it, Grace was quite the Drama Queen too at the end of the story. Overall, it was an interesting, unique read.

6 comments:

Brie said...

I read this book last year. I think I gave it a C. It took reading through almost half of the book before the story actually sprung legs and took off.

Like you, I appreciated their first love scene. I thought it was very realistic. I didn't mind Campbell's writing, but I read a few reviews that felt the prose was purple.

I did not like what Grace did towards the end of the book. It bordered on TSTL territory and I almost put the book down.

Kristie (J) said...

I quite liked this one. I thought Matthew was a great hero - love those virgin heroes!
I still haven't read Claiming the Courtesan though.

Jace said...

I've always wondered about Anna Campbell - should I or shouldn't I read her? Hmmm ... looks like not yet.

Jill D. said...

Brie, About the ending, at first, I would have to agree with you. I thought she was being really cruel and stupid. But then when I think about it, she did have a point in wanting to make sure he felt that she was the one. She didn't have to give him such a long ultimatim though. That was a little much, and she should have gone about it differently.

Kristie, It wasn't a bad book. I was turning the pages rather quickly actually. It's just that I had a few quibbles with it. Did you review this one?

Jace, Don't get me wrong, I did like the book. I guess maybe I came across as a little harsh during the review. The book was overall an enjoyable read, it just wasn't a keeper for me.

Kristie (J) said...

Katie and I did a duo review on this one. I liked it a bit better than Katie.

Jill D. said...

Kristie, Okay, I will check it out. I am curious to hear yours and Katie's thoughts.