Friday, February 8, 2008

Review - Wicked Deeds on a Winter's Night


 

Title: Wicked Deeds on a Winter’s Night
Author: Kresley Cole
Publication Date: November 2007
Genre: Paranormal
Rating: A-
Sensuality: Hot

Wicked Deeds is book four of the “Immortals After Dark” Series. This book is able to stand alone, but I recommend reading No Rest for the Wicked first because both books overlap. The ending of No Rest overlaps with the beginning of Wicked Deeds, plus Bowen and Mariketa are involved in the Hie which takes place in No Rest. The Hie is essentially an immortal scavenger hunt that takes place every 250 years. Bowen wants to win the prize desperately so he can go back in time and save his mate Mariah from her death. He has spent the last two centuries suffering from guilt because he was chasing her when she fell to her death. Mariketa, a witch, wants to win the Hie to prove to herself and to her coven that she is as powerful as has been foreseen.

First off, let me start by saying, this is a really awesome series. The world building and interesting characters make this a really fun read. Each book, so far in the series, has been really good and Wicked Deeds is no exception. I thoroughly enjoyed Mari and Bowen’s story. Mari is a delight. She is funny, smart and courageous and quite the match for Bowen. Bowen is loyal, determined and fierce; and I loved seeing Mari get the best of him. This book was sort of like an episode of “Moonlighting,” with Mari and Bowen each trying to one up the other; very entertaining. I just loved it when Bowen would screw up and say something wrong and then try and fix his blunder. He did this multiple times, which then ensued plenty of groveling.

I did get a little worried towards the end of the book though, when there was still a lot of conflicts not yet resolved and only a few pages left in the book. Not to worry; it all works out at the end. I love the world and I was sorry to see it end. I can’t wait for the next book in the series.

6 comments:

Brie said...

I love this series and WDOWN has been my favorite so far. Mari was so much fun, and I just fell in love with Bowen.

I really looking forward to reading Dark Deeds. With a ghost heroine, it should be really interesting.

Jace said...

I'm so glad that you liked this one! *grin* I fell for Bowen when he first appeared in A Hunger Like No Other so I was very glad he got his own story.

Ana said...

I can't wait to read this one! Just finished NRFTW and I loved it.

Jill D. said...

Brie, I didn't realized the heroine in the next book was a ghost. Oh dear, I am not feeling positive about that. I hope Cole can prove me wrong, because I just LOVE this series!

Jace, Bowen was great and I thought Mari was the perfect match for him. I hope we will continue to get a glimpse of them from time to time as the series continues.

Ana, Hi and welcome to my site! I just started this blog last month. Kristie J. actually led me to your site and I noticed that some of your favorite books (Lord of the Rings) are my favorites as well. I am confident that you will enjoy this book like you did the others. :)

Ana said...

I am buying this one today! And I am a rookie just as you are, I started blogging last month and reading romance about 6 months ago.....

cheers!

Jill D. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.