Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Re-Read Challange, Review - Shadow Touch




Title: Shadow Touch
Author: Marjorie M. Liu
Publishing Date: February 2006
Genre: Paranormal
Rating: A
Sensuality: Warm

Shadow Touch is my favorite book in Majorie M. Liu's Dirk and Steele Series. It is the second book of the series and I fell in love with Artur and Elena. Elena Baxter is kidnapped one night while she is volunteering in the children's cancer ward. See, Elena has the special ability to heal people's bodies. Apparently, someone knows her secret and they decide to kidnap her and run experiments on her. Meanwhile, Artur Loginov works for a detective agency, Dirk and Steele. This agency employs people who have special abilities. Artur can sense a person's memories by touching an object they have touched. He too, is kidnapped from his home and brought to the same facility that Elena is at. There they forge an unbreakable bond and work together to escape their captors.

I love everything about this book and it works for me on so many levels. First of all Elena and Artur are wonderful characters. Artur is so damaged from his tragic childhood. He had to do things to survive that no child should ever have to face. Artur really believes that he is not a good man because of his past and the things he has done. Because of his gift that he uses to find missing people and solve murders, he is constantly seeing the worst in people. It's as if he has lost his faith in humanity. His own and others. Then he meets Elena and everything changes for him in the matter of a few moments.

The way Liu writes Artur and Elena's story it is so poignant and touching. Often times I find stories that take place over a couple of days rushed and the romance lacking a certain believability. This is not the case at all with Shadow Touch. It is like two old souls coming together. Liu is able to pen and incredibly touching love story between these two people. Huge bonus to her for being able to do this without the characters mentally lusting for each other.

All the characters are well drawn, but Liu is able to leave somethings a mystery. For example, there is a fascinating, ambiguous character Rictor. Elena and Artur sense that he is not human, but just what is he? Readers will be wondering right along with the characters, yet Liu leaves some questions unanswered in regards to Rictor. Not to worry, I know for a fact that Rictor appears in other books later in the series.


I read this book for Nath's Re-Read Challenge. I originally gave it a B+ rating, but having read it a second time I think it is worthy of an A grade. Really, this incredible book just hooked me and it stands the test of time! To view a list of participants for this month and their reviews click here.


This book can be purchased in print or kindle format from Amazon.

7 comments:

nath said...

I liked this one too. I think this one was better than the first book, because Ms Liu had the world building out of the way. Also the suspense was better and more believable. Too bad the rest of the series hasn't kept up :(

Jill D. said...

Nath, I didn't like the first book very much. As a matter of fact, I though it was the weakest of the whole series. But I have really enjoyed the rest of the books. I think that they are very good. I like that all her characters are truly different and the plot keeps evolving. I need to play catch up though, because I am a couple of books behind. I haven't read the gargoyle one yet and it doesn't seem appealing.

Anonymous said...

I'm going to see about getting this, if only I can remember all the books I read about and want to get! I must make a list somewhere other than in my head, it's too cluttered in there for me to find anything.

nath said...

What annoys me in the series is that now, shifters (can't remember what they are called in the series) keep appearing right and left... when it was said they were so rare. I mean, it's a bit too convenient for me.

Jill D. said...

Anid - I keep an excel spreadsheet of all the books I want to read. I would never be able to keep track otherwise. A fun website that also helps you keep track is Shelfari. You can keep a virtual bookshelf. It is kind of neat.

www.shelfari.com

Nath - LOL, okay I see your point. But couldn't they have just been in hiding :)

Leslie said...

Another series I've got on the TBR pile. I should just stop buying books and read the ones I have. Too bad I have no willpower when it comes to buying books. :)

This sounds really good. Thanks for the review. :)

Jill D. said...

Leslie - Hah, I have no will power either. My TBR pile is crazy big. I hope you get a chance to read this one. It is really good!