Sunday, September 20, 2009

Series Sunday - Night Huntress by Jeaniene Frost




Jeaniene Frost has written an incredible vampire series. Yes, I know. So many of you are tired of vampires. It's been done. It's becoming monotonous. Well, I felt the same way until I read Halfway to the Grave. I had been hearing good things on the blogosphere about this series and endeavoured to move it up in my TBR (Too Be Read) pile. I did and I can honestly say, I was not disappointed!

This series is narrated by Cat Crawfield. She is half vampire - half human and an anomaly in her world; the only one of her existence. This series is narrated by her point of view. At first, Cat starts out killing vampires because she believes them all to be evil and twisted, unnatural creatures. Then she meets Bones. Bones is a master vampire who is intrigued by Cat's heritage and trains her to fight better. He himself is a bounty hunter for his own kind. He forcibly makes Cat take his side.

Cat learns that not all vampires are evil. And vampires are not the only creatures that go bump in the night. As the series gains momentum and becomes more elaborate, so does the world building and plot. The biggest draw for readers will be Cat and Bones' personalities. Both are sarcastic, endearing and funny. There are many quotable passages and Jeaniene Frost's writing leaps from the pages. This series has just begun and I for one can't wait to see where she is going with it. Bring it on, Ms. Frost! I am here for the long haul!

I highly recommend this series be read in order as each book build off the previous one.

Series Reading Order:
1. Halfway to the Grave
2. One Foot in the Grave
3. At Graves End
4. Destined for an Early Grave
(a). Unbound (anthology)
5. TBA
6. TBA
7. TBA

There will also be spin off books that will be stand alones that take place in the Night Huntress world, except the books will star a different protagonist. These new protagonists will be characters that readers of the series will already be familiar with.

1. First Drop of Crimson (Spade) Release Date: Feb 2010
2. Night Huntress World (Mencheres) Release Date: Sept 2010


7 comments:

Christine said...

I've read the first two books in this series, too.... and finally just bought books 3 and 4. I hope to read them soon. Right now I'm still immersed in a bit of a YA reading streak, though.

I'm excited Jeaniene is doing a spin off series. It'll be fun getting a new perspective in this world.

Mandi said...

I have mad love for this series. One of my favorites. Can't wait for Spade's book!

Patti (@TheLoveJunkee) said...

I love this series and can't wait for First Drop of Crimson.

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love this series! I didn't know about Spade and Mencheres getting their own books!! That is so awesome!!

Jill D. said...

Christine - This series is really good. Definitely try and get to them! I just read the third one. I should have a review soon :)

Mandi - I was really surprised to learn about the spinoff series. I am happy that Avon has so many books planned for Ms. Frost. I am really liking her writing.

Patti - I would like more of Cat and Bones, but hey, I'll take anything I can get from Ms. Frost.

Natasha - This new spin off to the series was news to me as well. She has a very nice website explaining it. www.jeanienefrost.com Be sure to check it out!

Marg said...

I bought the first book in this series based purely on the cover. Never have managed to read it. One day!

Penelope said...

Jill....I am now a Jeaniene Frost Night Huntress addict. This series is unbelievably great! Isn't it fun to discover a new rockin' writer?