Thursday, March 5, 2009

Dreamfever Excerpt 2




For those of you who have been coming to my blog awhile already know this. For those of you who are new, I am here to tell you I am a HUGE fan of Karen Marie Moning. I don't know what it is about her writing, but it just sings to me. Maybe it's just some sort of adolescent fantasy that I had from way back when that she appeals to on some level ( - that I don't even want to think about). Scary, I know. Your thinking, "Too much information." Right? Nah, humor me!

What I was trying to lead up to before I got side tracked, was that I subscribe to Karen's monthly newsletter. What is so nice about that newsletter is that fans get a little sneak peak at her upcoming novel with a juicy excerpt each time. The next book coming up is Dreamfever and it is number four in a five book series. This is an awesome series. Many of you have already heard me going on and on about this series, so I'll just get on with it. Without further ado, Excerpt number 2: (And it's a good one!)

I closed my hand around Barrons' forearm. He could not have looked more pleased if I'd just gazed up at him with doe eyes and told him he was my world.

I locked my hand down, dug my nails into his flesh, and held on.

His eyes narrowed then flared, then I was no longer seeing him at all because I'd pushed, pushed, pushed violently, stabbed myself brutally deep into his mind with my special sidhe-seer talent.

I wanted answers. I wanted to know why the animosity between him and V'lane. I wanted to know who to trust, who was--not the better man--but at least the slightly-less-worse one.

I pushed, seeking any breach I could exploit and suddenly I was--

In Faery!

It had to be. The scenery was impossibly lush, the colors too rich, vivid, so full of tone that they had texture, like that first beach V'lane had taken me to months ago, where I'd played volleyball with Alina, when he'd given me the gift of seeing her again, if only an illusion, but this was no beach, this was the Fae court!

Brilliantly colored silk chaises were scattered around a dais. Trees sprouted leaves and flowers of incomprehensible color and dimension. The breeze smelled of jasmine and sandalwood and some other scent that I imagined heaven--if such a place existed--would smell like.

I wanted to look around. I wanted to see the queen on her dais, but I couldn't turn my/our gaze toward it because I was a passenger in his head, and I was--

inside Barrons body.

I was strong.

I was cold.

I was mighty and they didn't even know just how mighty I was.

They didn't recognize me, the fools.

I was danger.

I was everything they should fear but they'd lived so long that they'd forgotten fear. I would teach them.

I would remind them
.


11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't usually read excerpts, but these... OMG, I just have to read these. And sit patiently waiting for the book :)

Leontine said...

Oh.My.Gawd. With heart in throat I am wanting
more. Go Mac!!!

Jill D. said...

Maija and Leontine, Wonderful! More KMM fans! I know, I am on pins and needles waiting for Dreamfever. August can't come soon enough!

Leontine said...

Well Jill, with how it all ended in Faefever I got chills and thrills just thinking about Dreamfever and I've heard DF will be partially told from Barrons point of view. I so want to get inside that mans head LOL

Jill D. said...

Leontine, I heard the same thing about Barrons. It's about time readers got a chance to learn a little more about him. I am pretty sure Dreamfever is going to kick ass!! I can't wait!

Anonymous said...

people were making it sound like dreamfever was going to be totally from barrons' pov? is this true? or is it mac from barrons pov? ach I'm confused!

Jill D. said...

Anonymous, Dreamfever will have some of Barron's point of view, but not all of it. It will still be Mac telling the story. I believe we will get Barron's point of view through flashbacks.

Maria said...

The fever series is absolutely brilliant! Karen is soooo talented. I know I will be reading Dreamfever the day it gets released. How long do I have to wait for the 5th book?

Jill D. said...

Marie - I am not sure when the last book will be released, but if it follows the pattern of the other Fever books it will be at least 9mo to a year.

Anonymous said...

CANT WAIT ANOTHER MINTUME WITH OUT IT! HELP!

Anonymous said...

i just love her books they are absolutely amazing. i love the under currents of secret romance between barrons and mac and when i think they are about to kiss they dont. Its fustrating but thats what makes me love this book even more.