Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Review - Menagerie




Title: Menagerie
Author: Lara Santiago
Publishing Date: 2008
Genre: Futuristic (Erotic)
Rating: C
Sensuality: Hot

Vanessa Thornhill while out for a jog finds herself planted face first in the dirt as she blacks out. When she comes to, she finds herself sitting a class, aboard a spaceship with a blue alien explaining the rules she must follow for the next few years of her new life. At first she just goes with the flow believing this to be a very vivid dream. Next thing she knows, she is being told how the ratio of women to men is five to one. She will be paired up with a group of men, whom she will have to service sexually. The men's survival depends on it.

Menagerie is a silly, short book that is easily entertaining. There is nothing too deep or meaningful that will come from reading it, but it's a mindless way to pass the time. Vanessa and her entourage of five men are mediocre characters. Each man had a distinct personality as to easily distinguish them from one another. Really for me, only one man stands out from the crowd. Vanessa finds herself playing favorites and she starts to feel extremely guilty about it. I liked this part of the story and how Vanessa has to deal with this issue. It gave the book more of a purpose than just being all about sex. I still would have wished for more exploration of this issue than just the superficial attention it received.

There was a very interesting plot twist at the end of the story that was very creative on the authors part, but again, I would have liked to see it be developed a little more. I wouldn't say there was anything that I didn't enjoy about the story, but it didn't totally knock my socks off either. It was just an average read for me. It was short and easy to read and it entertained me, but it definitely could have used some jazzing up.

Here is what others had to say:

The Good, The Bad, The Unread
Book Binge

4 comments:

Tracy said...

I thought this looked familiar so went to the Book Binge link you provided. Yep, Holly had reviewed it and really liked it. But yet both you and Sandy gave it a C. It always amazes me how different readers are - which is a good thing! :) It actually sounds pretty mindless, but fun.

Kris said...

I almost bought this one. It sounded interesting, good review thanks :)

Holly said...

I think I agree with you about the plot needing more substance, but I enjoyed it for what it was.

Jill D. said...

Tracy, I read this because of Holly's review. I know it doesn't sound like the greatest piece of literature ever to grace the written word, but I figured, I'd be entertained and hey, I was.

Kris, Your welcome :)

Holly, Your right, it is what it is. I did really like the surprise at the end though, with the guys. I never would have guessed that and it twisted things up.