Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Review - The Heart Queen




Title: The Heart Queen
Author: Patricia Potter
Publishing Date: 2001
Genre: Historical
Rating: DNF
Sensuality: Kisses

Janet Leslie and Neil Forbes were once young and in love. Neil, the bastard son of the Marquess of Braemoor, having nothing to offer young Janet, plus having the taint of madness in his blood, cruelly leaves Janet to wonder at his abandonment. He told her he loved her and wanted to marry her and then doesn't show up at their meeting point. After he breaks her heart, she marries Alasdair Campbell and she gives him an heir. Her picture perfect life though, isn't so perfect because Alasdair is not a very nice man. He beats her and his children and starves his people. Alasdair is takes ill suddenly and dies without naming a guardian to his son and wife. Janet desperately turns to Neil to help her because there is no one else to turn to.

Okay, I tried, I really did to finish this book. After four days, I made it to page 293 and then I had to call it quits. It was just so very boring. There is not a lot of action in this book. Instead, much of the conflict is internal. Both Janet and Neil often have long internal monologues. It just about bored me to tears and I kept waiting for something to happen, but it just never did. Neil especially irked me because he is a very Beta hero and he was always doubting himself. His indecision and lack of self worth was very off putting. The major consensus was this book was boring, boring boring. (Did I mention I was bored?)


The Heart Queen was March's book for the TBR Challenge. This month's theme was historical romance, fiction or mystery. Does it count if I wasn't able to complete the book? Well, in my mind, at least I get an 'A' for effort.

7 comments:

~ames~ said...

You get an A for effort. Especially since you made it so far into the book. LOL

nath said...

LOL, totally agree with Ames. A for effort :)

I've read her contemporaries and most are okay... but not her historicals. I guess I'll be staying far away. Too bad because the cover was nice LOL.

Tracy said...

You gave it a try. If you get that far into a book and still don't like it it's just not worth your time and you certainly shouldn't feel bad about it. :)

Jill D. said...

Thank you so much ladies. I was feeling very guilty about not being able to finish the book. Your kind words are so nice to hear. Your write, it's just not worth losing any sleep over.

Kristie (J) said...

This one might not have worked for you but I do urge you to try another one by her. I think I read this one - I don't remember which shows how unmemorable it is if I did. But she does have some others that I really enjoyed!!

Jill D. said...

Kristie, Don't worry, I have read others by her, which I liked. One that was pretty recent was Beloved Warrior. I think I have read another one, but I can't remember the name.

nath said...

Oh, well Jill, you know. It happens. Nothing wrong with not being able to finish a book. You can't, you can't and that's it.