Friday, March 19, 2010

Review - Magic Burns



Title: Magic Burns
Author: Ilona Andrews
Publishing Date: 2008
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Rating: B
Sensuality: Subtle
Book Disclosure: Borrowed a copy from the library.

Magic Burns is book two in Ilona Andrews Kate Daniels series. In Kate's world magic is a part of life, but when magic is up, technology is down. The magic always comes and goes but recently it has been coming more and more frequently and sporadically. These are signs of an oncoming Flare. This could be really dangerous as the type of magical beings gain more power during the Flare. Kate has her hands full as she finds a young girl orphaned and in need of help. Kate has no maternal instincts, but she can't stand to see anyone suffer so she takes the girl home with her and begins a search for the girl's mother.

I have to admit that it had been a few months since I read the first book in this series, Magic Bites and I couldn't exactly recall what happened in that book. At least with Magic Burns, the reader now gets a better sense of Kate's personality. Told in the first person, Kate narrates the story. I didn't realize it, but Kate is a bleeding heart. I can't exactly call her a sucker, because she isn't. She really is quite the Badass. She would however do anything in her power to protect those she feels are deserving such as the young girl, Julie.

Still the reader is guessing who Kate is and what exactly her powers are. There is a lot of sexual tension between Kate and Curran, the King of the Beasts. I love that the romance is slowly unfolding, but I think some readers might feel things are moving too slow. There is a lot of world building and a lot of descriptions of various creatures. Half of it I could imagine and the other half was beyond me. However, I am enjoying this series and think it's best not to let too much time lapse between books. The reader will definitely benefit by reading the books in order.

Here is what others have to say:

Musings of a Bibliophile
Stacy's Place on Earth
Lurv a la Mode
Ciara Stewart
Dark Reviews
Scooper Speaks
LesleyW's Book Nook

This book can be purchased in print or kindle format from Amazon.

6 comments:

Angiegirl said...

I'm happy you've continued with this series. The 3rd one--MAGIC STRIKES--is where things get kicked up a notch, both romantically and actionwise. It is, quite simply, made of awesome. :)

nath said...

I like Kate, although I think she takes some warming up too. I find Kate's background to be the most interesting :D

The books are getting better and better, I just can't wait for Magic Bleeds! and Jill, you have to read Magic Strikes, it's really, really good :D

I'm still not completely happy about the world building, but I can overlook it if the plots keep being as good :D

Jill D. said...

Hey Angiegirl - Yes, I am very glad I continued with this series. After reading Magic Burns, I am very much looking forward to reading Magic Strikes. I am super excited to hear I have some romance to look forward to!

Nath - Kate in the first book seemed more cold than this one. I really liked the addition of Julie to bring out Kate's more protect and nurturing side. What about the world building didn't you like? Was it that there are so many different creatures to deal with? That was kind of hard for me.

Kris said...

i have the first book but have not gotten to it yet. glad you liked this :)

nath said...

Well there is the fact that there is a lot going on, lots of species, but also, it just feels incomplete to me. It's hard to imagine it all and there's a lot of stuff I don't understand I guess.

I can wait for you to read Magic Strikes. That book was really great :D

Christina said...

I'll add my "ditto" about Magic Strikes. :)