Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Review - Pride Mates



Title: Pride Mates: Shifters Unbound
Author: Jennifer Ashley
Publication Date: February 2010
Genre: Paranormal
Rating: C
Sensuality: Hot
Book Disclosure: I purchased this book new.

Pride Mates is the first book is a new Shifter series by Jennifer Ashley. Kim Fraiser is a lawyer who has been assigned the duty of defending a shifter who is charged with murdering his human girlfriend. In this world Shifters are forced to wear magical collars which inhibit the violent behaviors of shifters. They are segregated from humans and are forced to live in communities referred to as Shiftertowns. As Kim starts her investigation she has to learn more about shifters and she goes to Liam Morrissey for help. He is the sexy son of the local clan leader.

Let's start out with what I liked about this story. In the beginning, Kim has to learn about the world and hierarchy in which the shifters live. Most humans don't have any clue as to how the shifters live. They are aware of their existence, but that is about it. This happened to be the most interesting part of the book for me. Also, Kim and Liam have a lot of sexual tension upon their first meeting. And those first scenes were a lot of fun to read.

Unfortunately, as the book continued on my level of attention started to wan. The writing became clunky and the characters felt superficial. I never was able to fully connect with Kim or Liam. The ending was especially frustrating because it is everything clichéd that I detest in a romance. Liam's behavior felt totally out of character. It was like his personality did a complete turnaround the last few chapters of the book. I don't see myself continuing with this series in the future.

Here is what others had to say:

Smexy Books
Ramblings on Romance, Etc.
Escape Between the Pages
The Good, The Bad, The Unread

This book can be purchased in print and kindle format from Amazon.

5 comments:

nath said...

Hmmm, I almost looked this book up, but I don't know, something in the blurb and the cover put me off. I guess it's a good thing. I think I'm going to wait till the RT and see if it wouldn't be available there...

Too bad it didn't live up to the beginning :(

VampFanGirl said...

Great review Jill! The overall consensus is looking to be about the same with regards to this novel and that is that its just okay. Hmmmm...still not entirely sold on it.

Thanks for the rec!

:) VFG

Anonymous said...

Aww, that's sad, I have a few of those reads from time to time too. They start off so well but then go downhill from a certain point in the book. It's such a let down. D:

I thought about reading this series but now I guess I won't. I just read a book with superficial characters and it's not an experience I want to repeat again...

Oh, just wanted to let you know I have an award for you on my blog~

Leslie said...

I think I'll stick with her historicals for now. Thanks for the review Jill. :)

Jill D. said...

Nath - That's a good idea. It very well could be one of the books they give out for free :)

VFG - Glad I could help you out! The first review I read of it was Mandi's and it wasn't all that favorable. Oh well...

Anna - Thank you very much for the award! I'll be dropping by to check it out.

Leslie - Yeah a total bummer, but at least her historicals are good.