Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Review - In Too Deep




Title: In Too Deep
Author: Portia Da Casta
Publishing Date: November 2009
Genre: Contemporary (Erotic)
Rating: B
Sensuality: Burning

Gwendolyn Price is a librarian in England. She lives a pretty normal, uneventful life, that is until she receives an erotic letter from an anonymous fan. She knows she should be freaked out by this pervert, but the truth is she's turned on. He seems completely harmless. They enter into a little exchange through letters and chat over the internet. Meanwhile, back in Gwendolyn's real life, professor Daniel Brewster, aka Professor Hottie McHotstuff, is doing his research at the library. Gwendolyn suspects he might be her secret admirer and sets about to find out.

This is my first Portia da Casta novel. I don't know if all her books are written this way, but I really struggled with the first few chapters. At first, I couldn't figure out what it was that was bothering me. Then it dawned on me that the book is written in present tense. It totally threw me for a loop. I eventually got over it and started enjoying the book.

In Too Deep is a very sensual read, but it's also funny and sweet too. Gwen and Daniel come across as real people, sometimes a little kinky, but for the most part just normal. Both have some insecurities, but nothing that is annoyingly reiterated again and again. I enjoyed the little twist revealed with Daniel towards the end of the story. It grounded the book so it didn't entirely feel like just a fantasy. And the ending was super sweet - just the way I like them.

Here is what others had to say:

Wendy the Super Librarian

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe I remember Kristie (J) reading and enjoying this book. I keep forgetting to add it to my wishlist. It really does sound like an interesting and romantic read.

Carolyn Crane said...

Cool! Thanks for the review! I need to add this one - I didn't realize it was about letters, and that sounds interesting. I've liked every Portia Da Costa book I've read!

Wendy said...

I'm glad you ended up enjoying it Jill! This was one of my favorite reads from last year.

Barbara - I need to nag Kristie. She's had this under "current reads" on her blog's sidebar forever

Tracy said...

I've wanted to read this forevah! Well, since I read Wendy's review. I keep looking for it and it's never in stock. I just need to break down and order it! Great review!

Jill D. said...

CJ, If you have like her other books, then I am sure you will like this one. It was my first by her. What else would you recommend, any favorites?

Thanks Wendy for the rec!

Tracy, I know, I read that review too and it sparked my interest. It's definitely a cute story.

Portia Da Costa said...

Thank you very much for the lovely review! I'm so glad you enjoyed IN TOO DEEP. It was a fun story to write, especially as I'm an ex librarian and the setting is based on a library I once worked in.

Alas, I never met a Professor Hottie or received letters from Nemesis! LOL

Jill D. said...

Portia! Wow, thanks for stopping by!! Yes, it's too bad our lives are not as exciting as the books we read/write. I really enjoyed this story and I am looking forward to more! Keep up the good work!