Thursday, January 7, 2010

The Best Books of 2009



This is my favorite time of year for reading and blogging. I love to see the results of the many "best of" or "top ten" lists that are popping up all over the blogosphere. 2009 was an excellent year for the number of quality books published. I had a record number of A-rated reads and coming up with this "best of" list was hair pulling, indeed. I have broken it up into categories choosing the winner and an honorable mention. The titles have links to my reviews.

BEST REGENCY HISTORICAL ROMANCE
Winner: The Madness of Lord Ian MacKenzie by Jennifer Ashley
Honorable Mention: Tempt Me at Twilight by Lisa Kleypas





BEST PARANORMAL ROMANCE
Winner: Destined For an Early Grave by Jeaniene Frost
Honorable Mention: Hunting Ground by Patricia Briggs





BEST CONTEMPORARY ROMANCE
Winner: Hard and Fast by Erin McCarthy
Honorable Mention: SEALed with a Promise by Mary Margaret Daughtridge
Honorable Mention: Practice Makes Perfect by Julie James




BEST URBAN FANTASY
Winner: Bone Crossed by Patricia Briggs
Honorable Mention: Dreamfever by Karen Marie Moning




BEST ROMANTIC SUSPENSE
Winner: Dark of Night by Suzanne Brockmann






BEST MEDIEVAL ROMANCE
Winner: The Conqueror by Kris Kennedy





BEST ANTHOLOGY
Winner: Men of the Otherworld by Kelley Armstrong





BEST WESTERN ROMANCE
Winner: Never Love a Lawman by Jo Goodman





BEST EROTIC ROMANCE
Winner: A Vampire's Claim by Joey W. Hill



12 comments:

KT Grant said...

Great list! I loved Lord Ian and found it to be a very emotional and well written book. Can't wait for the sequel.

And isn't Julie James great? Love her books.

SarahT said...

Wonderful list! The Jennifer Ashley, Jo Goodman, Karen Marie Moning and Julie James are also on my 'Best of 2009' list.

Sayuri said...

There are so many books on your list that I have and mean to read, but just haven't got around to . Jennifer Ashley's book is going straight to the top of the pile. I have all of Julie James books as well, just haven't cracked them yet......

Maija said...

Still haven't check Julie James, but definitely will!
I'm getting Tempt Me at Twilight tomorrow. I know it'll be a great book :)

wonttorit said...

I haven't tried many on your list, but I'm sure that will change. However, my #1 fave book of the year IS on your list. Destined for An Early Grave by Jeaniene Frost. I could go on for days on how much I love this book. I can never get enough of Cat and Bones, but, my #1 fave Night Huntress character, Mencheres, is finally in line for his due. Can't wait!

Jill D. said...

Katiebabs - I discovered Lord Ian and Julie James because of great reviews I read, so really I should be thanking you guys!

Sarah - It seems we agree on many. I plan to read Tessa Dare and Leslie Parrish since they were also on your list.

Sayuri - Oh yes, move them to the top. I don't think you will regret it!

Maija - Seems like you have a good shipment of books coming to you. Have fun reading them!

Wonttorit - Thanks for stopping by! This year I finally got to read the Night Huntress books and I was blown away by them. Ms Frost is definitely one talented lady! I hope she gets the recognition she deserves. I am looking forward to her next release too. At least we don't have too long to wait.

Lori said...

Great list, Jill!

Lord Ian didn't do a whole lot for me, but I loved PMP and DoN. Can't wait for Julie James' next release. And I admit, I'm going to read the next Jennifer Ashley to see if it was just the characters I didn't like or the writing.

And I still need to read the Jo Goodman, darn it!

Leslie said...

ohhh, I see a bunch that I either read and enjoyed or are on my tbr pile so that's good too! I need to catch up with Cat and Bones since Frost has a new book coming out really soon. Great list!

Kristie (J) said...

Although I haven't read all of these - I can get on board with the ones I have!

A BIG YES!! to your two historicals - loved em both. And I really enjoyed the Julie James and Jo Goodman books!!

Hilcia said...

Great choices, Jill D. I really enjoyed Lord Ian's story and Jo Goodman's western this year. I still have Julie James in my TBR pile and I'm hoping to get to her this year -- can't believe I didn't get to this book!

Jill D. said...

Lori - I think your review was the only one that didn't rave over it. But I totally understand where you are coming from. If I read a book where the main character had diabetes, I am sure I would find fault with it somehow. (My hubby's a type one diabetic). We always cringe when a movie gets it wrong.

Leslie - Oh yes, hurry up with Destined for an Early Grave. It was my favorite of the series so far. Luckily, you won't have to wait to long to read the next installment.

Kristi - I know, when I was looking over the books you read for the year (great spreadsheet, by-the-way) I was nodding at so many of your A-rated reads.

Hilcia - Move the Julie James up in the pile. Trust me, you won't regret it!

nath said...

Very nice list :D I was wondering after looking at the urban fantasy category that there was no Kelley armstrong! LOL :)